Poll of Kef LS50 Wireless owners

Thanks bear! Indeed I had downloaded the wrong updater… feeling dumb. Anyway, got the right one and did the update. Finished very quickly, ~5 minutes. Initially had the same wifi connectivity issues and trouble holding the spotify connect continuity, but those slowly disappeared and they have been working reliably since.

I’m still freaked out about kit this expensive being so heavily reliant on obviously shoddy software. That paired with a constant smell of too hot electronics (noticeable from halfway across the living room whenever on) has me concerned enough with longevity that I’m planning to return my set to Crutchfield.

I went to my local hifi dealer this week and auditioned a ton of comparable bookshelf setups, built around the Peachtree decco125sky (which is wifi enabled and includes digital and analogue inputs, and a phono stage).

I landed on the Totem Sky’s after hearing Sonus Faber Chameleon Bs, Paradigm Premiers (100 and 200), passive LS50’s, audioengine a5, and many more.

The Totem’s blew all out of the water, not even close. They are more expensive, but the dealer made me a great deal on the package that put the total for amp, speakers, and cables just a bit above the out the door price for the LS50w’s.

Feeling more confident going back to a separate package that is less software dependent.

1 Like

I also went from the KEFs to separates. I haven’t looked back as my new system is a bit better SQ wise (but admittedly more expensive!). Still think the LS50W’s are amazing for their price/size but I had too many reliability issues with them.

1 Like

I’ve had zero issues with Kef Wireless speakers . I think they sound pretty damn good for the price .

1 Like

Likewise, worth noting only people with issues tend to post so you can get a biased view.

1 Like

The thread is useful. And there does need to be visibility of issues to ensure the company are sorting them out. That doesn’t damage confidence, it underpins it.

To correct that bias: Zero issues with my LS50W, zero issues with my Nucleus+. An audiophile system consisting of 2 speakers, one Nucleus, one cable from Nucleus to the router and one interconnect cable between the KEF‘s. SQ is stunning.

3 Likes

9 months now and zero issues with my pair. Can’t be beat for the price if you are ok with giving up control of your gear …

Are there any reports of pairs that have had new boards installed by KEF failing a second time?

Anyone else notice that there was a new update for the KEF LS50W speakers from June 27th? I just downloaded it and am installing it now. By the way I have had my pair since March of 2017 and they have been used almost every day since I got them and they have been trouble free ever since. The update just finished without a hitch and I am up again playing music. Just thought I would share.

3 Likes

I applied the 27-Jun-18 firmware around a week ago and the upgrade was smooth and playback has been perfect as before. I was initially waiting for more feedback on the experience with the new firmware but I didn’t want to wait any longer. Adding my positive feedback on the trouble free upgrade in case anyone else is hesitant.

I’ve had my pair since January of 2018 and I haven’t experienced any software/hardware problems and I also listen to the speakers just about every day.

1 Like

Hi all

Has there been a firmware update yet (since initial release) that allows you to change inputs (switching to optical input for example) via the KEF app?

Or is changing inputs still limited to the separate remote control (and on the unit itself of course).

Cheers!

Hey Sean,

today KEF split off the settings from the LS50 app into a new KEF Control App and and renamed the old one to KEF stream.

I am not at home and haven’t tried it yet. But as far I can see on the screenshots you can now change the inputs and set in maximum volume in the control app.

(The new apps require MCU 3.0 and WiFi 2.0 which is the latest firmware)

Christoph

2 Likes

Thanks Christoph!

Wow, 48 hours after I asked the question and it’s arrived. Great news.

Now seems like a great time for me to finally get a pair. I had and loved the passives for a few years (with all sorts of DAC and amp combinations) and heard these actives in a shop and was blown away.

Love the new update - the control app is great! These speakers are getting better and better with every software release.

Finally able to switch inputs, which is great for setups like mine where the OLED strip at the top of the master isn’t in a location that’s easy to see (it’s been painful using the remote to guess which input is selected).

Also love the ability to create presets of the various speaker sound settings, it will be much easier to A/B test different settings now!

I agree I love the new update and the control app too.

Aside from switching the inputs you now also can turn off the speakers and set a max volume which is also nice.

My pair have now died completely. 05/17 build, after 11 months of only very light use.

Eep. And the warranty on the amp section is only 12 months right? Luckily the failure didn’t occur outside of warranty.

Which part/s has failed, if you can share?

Not sure which parts may have given up the ghost.

I would contact Kef support right away. I got the two boards (left/right) replaced fairly quickly. No problems since.

I’ve had my KEF LS50W’s since February of 2017. So far the speakers themselves have been pretty dependable. Maybe 2 or 3 events where I needed to simply turn them off and on again, but nothing persistent. Of course, typical issues with the KEF App loosing connection with the speakers, but now that i’ve got my NUC Rock(ne?) up and going wireless streaming seems to be (fingers crossed) very stable. Just launched it this weekend though. Curious to try the new Control app, haven’t updated the firmware yet.