Poly using Glider in Hi-Fi hotspot mode with iOS

I’ve set up my Poly with Glider (MDP player) using Wi-Fi hotspot mode, and it’s working as expected.

However, when connected to the Poly’s hotspot, I have no Internet access on my mobile. Some time ago, I had configured Wi-Fi to use the Poly hotspot, and 4G as a gateway, so I could browse etc. Unfortunately, I can’t remember how I achieved this when manually configuring the network.

Anyone know how this is done?

@Martin_Webster, what device are you using for your 4G connection and gateway?

I’m using an iPhone Xs with iOS 16.6.1. I’ll post screenshots of the Wi-Fi connection details later.

Previously, I could connect to the Poly’s Wi-Fi, and route Internet traffic via 4G.

Of course, it could be changes to iOS that prevents this now.

Will it work if your phone is the hotspot for the poly to connect to?

That should allow your phone to have internet at the same time :man_shrugging:

When I’m home later I’ll have a look as I had this use case scenario in mind when I got my poly for use away from home.

What about AirPlay :thinking:

Or Bluetooth :wink:

2 Likes

That, I shall try. :+1:

I’ll be relaxing by a pool, and would like bit perfect playback.

2 Likes

Where have you gone away?

Ah yes, forgot AirPlay 2 is supported so iPhone will do 256kbps AAC instead of lossless :tired_face:

I wish Apple allowed a setting to select AirPlay over AP2.

Depends on the app if it uses legacy or not.

1 Like

Off to Crete in a few days.

2 Likes

Hopefully its cooled down now.

2 Likes

It looks like it’ll be 27-29, which is fine by me.

2 Likes

Okay, I’ve got it working with the iPhone hotspot. That will do, and probably better that using the Poly as a hotspot since it should be quicker switching between MPD and Roon.

1 Like

I’m a flippin’ genius me :wink:

Roon / Chord tech support here I come :rofl:

1 Like

Seems to work fine after reinstalling Glider (necessary to clear previous library and settings.)

Now to check airplane mode.

The 500 GB SD-card is maxed out, too.

1 Like

Wouldn’t that kill your connectivity between Poly and your phone’s hotspot :wink:

Yes, I’d be using Bluetooth instead. Pretty sure you can’t use Wi-Fi in-flight.

Incidentally, I’ve just installed Rigelian as Glider is a little shaky and hasn’t had an update in a few years. Rigelian is £2.99 a year.

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to use ARC as data abroad is capped at 2 GB even though my plan is 20 GB. Also, I’m switching ISP, and the timing means I probably won’t have time to sort port forwarding etc.

I think, only think, on Android some connections can be used in airplane mode. Not too sure about iPhones.

Will check for my own curiosity :wink:

Shows Chord Poly on a photo in the app store :grin:

Yes, enable airplane mode, then enable WiFi afterwards and it can be used with airplane mode just killing mobile.

1 Like