Possibility to restart the Roon Core / Server via Roon Remote

Ouch. Sounds like you discovered a bug on mobile devices? I’ll qualify what I wrote by saying my remote is full size desktop mac controlling my music server. No issues when clicking the Clear image cache button.

Clearing the image cache does as it says it is going to do. But it does also restart Roon core.

1 Like

For those using a headless Mac mini there are apps available for the iPad that allow you to control the Mac mini remotely. The one I’m using is Screens. So it would be possible to close/restart the Roon Core app that way. On Mac OS it’s possible to do the same thing using Screen share.

So basically the only way to restart a headless core that is not a nucleus is to hard reboot using the power button. Ridiculous!

Let’s be clear: if the computer/OS is fine; and only the Roon application needs restarting, there is no way to remotely do this.

Being that many of us run our cores without monitors/keyboard/mouse, the only resort is to press the power button on the device, potentially damaging the computer.

1 Like

I think you can SSH to your headless and restart core or headless using appropriate command ?

So many users have screwed this thread up. This is only about Win 10 and Mac os. If you’re gonna talk about rock or roon os, do us all a favor and keep your pieholes shut!
Reset roon button for remote please. How hard can this be to understand or implement?
A direct response from Roon staff would be much appreciated.

1 Like

:laughing: ; I feel your pain, but it won’t make any difference -

1 Like

Hi Gary, I have exactly the same problem from time to time and the only solution is to stop roon on the server and restart it. so yes it would be great if we could restart it from any remote…

2 Likes

Thanks… good find!

I didn’t see this in the thread above. Pardon if I missed it.

If I go to http://rock.local/ I get a web interface that lets me restart Roon. Couldn’t be simpler.

Hi @Bill_Wolf,

That Roon administrative web interface is only available on devices running Roon OS.
This feature suggestion is from those running the Roon Core on [headless] Windows or MacOS devices.

Need this man ! And I’m not talking about Roon Rock. But normal core (Roon Server) that is not a Roon Nucleus. Restart would make life simpler.

Yes please include this feature to restart roon server via remote.

My vote is yes.

You have to vote at the top of the thread. Your yes’ or +1 mean nothing.

Hi,

It would be very useful to allow restarting of the Core from a remote. The whole essence of Roon is that the server/core can be (and often ideally is) located quite far aware from listening locations, so when DACs and such glitch out and the Core needs a restart, it seems a no-brainer option :slight_smile:
Thanks for considering.

EDIT… In fact it would be nice to be able to restart any instance of Roon running on the network, by any device, Im holding a Tabpro as remote control but I am outputting via sony laptop to ifi from a core in another room, and any one of the core or endpoint could be the cuprit when it stops working.

2 Likes

more often than not the OS is what is getting hung up…use a VNC or TeamViewer instance or for rock you have the web GUI or linux use SSH

Edit…optionally as John indicated while I was posting - it might not be a big deal to have as an option in the remote for the core anyway.

1 Like

Given this restart behavior can be triggered from any Roon device at the end of a version update, seems as if the restart part could be isolated and exposed in the interface simply enough.

1 Like

Yes but Roon really needs this type of function to be behind an Admin control of some sort. It is already an issue that the lack of lock-down that can be applied to profiles exposes Roon configuration settings to anyone using a Remote.

locking down of remote capabilities is something that has been talked about for a long time now…@support where is this option currently…Roadmap or back burner?

I would like to bump this please.

There are only a couple of reasons I ever need to restart the core: either a memory leak or some fubar with Tidal which means that it doesn’t load the albums in, but really, being able to do a restart from my Roon Remote would be much more elegant than logging in to my NAS to do it.

3 Likes

Not sure why this thread died but I’m bumping it back up. Since it’ll probably get new onlookers just want to TL;DR; very briefly:

• This is NOT related to anyone running a Roon Core or Roon OS. You have the ability to reboot remotely, you have access to an administrative web UI. This is all known and completely unrelated
  • This is solely for people who run their Roon server on a MacOS/Linux/Windows machine. In this instance, there is currently zero capability built into the Roon client applications/Roon Remote to trigger the server application (not the host OS) to restart. As has been covered extensively, this capability already exists as part of the update process, we’re just looking for it to be added as a directly accessible UI element as well

Since the Roon server isn’t perfect, nothing is, issues occasionally occur that are easiest to handle with a simple reboot of the server application (not the OS). We would just like to be able to do this (just like Roon Core/OS users are able to when issues arrive on their end. A simple button somewhere in the settings would be spectacular.

4 Likes