Possible 952 fix? Check your DNS settings

When there is a memory leak, the consumption of main memory increases until it stops working. Roon crashes.

When it is restarted, it can be brought back to life even without a DNS change.

A good DNS setting increases the speed in the network, but not the crash behavior due to memory leak.

I was guessing that it restarts the Roon app on Rock (but I have not checked this as I have not changed my DNS settings)

Roon already uses its own (Google DNS) servers
or the last couple of version (this was always the Roon advice to people who were having problems so it looks like they built it into the product). I find that every time I restart Roon it’s back to working perfectly for a period of time.

I have done the app restart dozens of times since build 952, whenever I am about to start a long listening session and I can confirm 100% success for around 8 hours before it fails again. I’m guessing that’s how long my 16GB of memory lasts before it is exhausted with my 70k library. Not going to be the same for everyone, but for me it has been very consistent.

Yeah, i just changed the settings on the comcast router, and rebooted the router; I didn’t restart roonserver or roon core Mac Mini. (I have the mini that houses the core restart daily; always have.)

1 Like

Ah I was assuming that you changed it on the Roon server not the router

well, it’s probably best you didn’t throw me a parade, because I left for a couple of hours, came back, and opened Roon remote on a different mac.

Frozen, hanging, can’t connect, etc…

Went to the original mac from this morning, and it was still open on that machine. Closed it on that machine, went to the other laptop, and it’s fast again.

So, there’s definitely the issue with having an instance of Roon open on more than one machine (be it computer, phone, tablet, whatever).

Anyway, I enjoyed listening to some interruption-free music this morning; and thinking we’d solved at least one of the world’s most pressing problems, well, that was kinda fun.

2 Likes

Yes that pretty much sums it up.
Roon Core, Windows, Mac and Android client too.

Looks like we should be getting An update soon enough and we can go back to complaining about the more esoteric stuff I hope

1 Like