Power Supply recommendations for IFI Zen Stream

Hi folks

Currently, my ifi Zen Stream is powered by the ifi iPower standard power supply. I was thinking about what a Linear power supply would do to the Zen Stream (e.g. the iPower Elite)

Did anyone try a Linear Power Supply with the Zen Stream?

Is it even worth it or is it overkill and an ipowerX is just fine?

Best
Mike

There are a number of recommendations of LPSU in the Zen Stream thread. A number of users have said it improved the musical output.

Most of these LPSUs cost more than the stream.
Got to say I have been happy with the 15v that came with my early model.

Edit: just found the thread and realised I created it :grin:

2 Likes

I have no experience with this gear, but in general I can recommend Farad Super 3 Power supplies,
It might be overkill but deeply system dependent, maybe worth a try.

Cheers
NOA

1 Like

Hey Michael, thank you!
I know the thread but with around 900 replies to mixed topics, it is kind of a longer read :slight_smile:

1 Like

I know, I forgot how long it was.
I can say that there are several recommendations for LPSUs including the Farad in the thread.

Anything from 9v to 15v seems to work fine with a lot of variation in finding from users on the threads who have tried the different power supplies and the results from them

1 Like

Hi Xtal,

The ZS’s voltage input range is from 9V to 15V which means it will re-regulate it internally. The result could be better, or worse (if you spend $$$$ on a power supply by cost-vs-effectiveness perspective). So I personally think just go with the power supply unit shipped with original package, or no more than iPower 2.

2 Likes
1 Like

Btw, i have never try the bundled power supply, so can’t comment on the comparison.

This has made my system sound significantly better - cleaner, more open and dynamic, and video is better to. Mine powers the Zen, a TiVo, my router and a Fire stick. I tried the Zen on the 12v tap but prefer the sound at 15v

If you have multiple DC powered devices, the HD Plex is worth a close look. Note that the fixed outputs can be customized for your needs. Mine has two 12v taps

2 Likes

I use the Ferrum „Hypsos“ for the ZEN:

https://ferrum.audio/hypsos/

Configured to 12V it also feeds the Meraki Network-Switch with the Ferrum „Power Splitter“.

Yes, some kind of „oversized“ - but the sound benefits a lot… :sunglasses:

atb, Tom

4 Likes

Wow that power supply is about 3x the price of the stream :flushed:. But it does run 2 devices at least. It seems to be a wonderful LPS

I put a new iFi ipower X 15v on my Stream last week, but I already had the launch version of the Stream with the good power supply, so I do not hear any real difference, but I know it’s there which is the important thing :grin:

1 Like

Not sure if it is a little bit late, but you could try the Silent Angel Forester F1 or the clone from nuPrime LPS 205. They are both between 450-500 Euro for a new one, but you can get them cheaper used, and sometimes they are somewhere on offer.

Edit: I saw that they both only provide 5V, so forget about it. You’d need something from Keces instead (like a Keces P3).

1 Like

I no longer use my Zen Stream having switched to a dac with internal streamer but for a year, I used a 7.5v MeanWell power supply (single use of NAA).

http://forum-hifi.fr/thread-26655.html

1 Like

Actually, I got a iFi Zen Stream now and attached it to my Keces P8 Dual 12/19V via the 12 volt output (I have a PrimeMini4 on the 19 volt output and a Silent Angel N8 on the 5 volt USB output). Sounds nice, and audibly better than the supplied cheap power supply.

Well, if a power supply improves a lot the USB connection, it proves their USB Noise Active Cancellation isnt that great…

I had been using the ZEN Stream with an iPower Elite and to me this was absolutely worth it - great value. You may also furthermore use a good power cable for the Elite to get even more out of it.

1 Like

I power elite is awesome with the Zen Stream .

1 Like

I purchased my Zen Stream in 2023 and it came with what looks like just a generic power supply. Last week I decided to get the iFi iPower X. I did notice a bigger soundstage when I plugged it in. I am happy with that purchase.

For a much smaller outlay you can try powering your Zen Stream from batteries. I’ve replaced the cheap power supply that came with mine and I’m using 3x 3.7 volt 18650 batteries connected together in series. I ripped the batteries out of an old power pack that had broken and I’m amazed at what a difference it has made. I get a couple of evenings listening out of them between charges so for very little outlay I’ve had a pretty significant upgrade.

1 Like