Print Playlist and Library (export to PDF) [export to excel]

Over csv? No. Csv has no standardized escaping for commas and quotes.

Over xls or the zipped xlsx? No. Those formats are seriously more work to export.

1 Like

What features in Excel are required to output the Roon Library. I would think a CVS file would do it. That is pretty much standard everywhere and all spreadsheet programs read that.

Hi, I wanted to follow up on my last post. First, the good news. There is a simple solution for Mac users, that may also be valuable for other users.

OPTION 1:

1. Follow Danny’s method to output your tracks.

2. Use any one of the many free online XLS to CVS file converters and there you go. Numbers reads these files just fine. I also looked at the raw XLS output before conversion and the output CSV file. I could not find anything that suggested there was information degradation in the conversion to CSV.

I have worked on projects for years that used open source software to do this kind of output from commercial projects I worked on. Perhaps Roon might do this?

OPTION 2:
(this option and option 1 are not mutually exclusive, both may have value)

1. Follow Danny’s method to output your tracks.

2. Install the Java JDK which is free and available from Oracle. You will need an account first. This is easy to do and free (for our individual purposes).

3. Install Open Office which has been around for many years. It is a fully developed office automation environment including spreadsheet, word processing, database, and other facilities.

4. Open the file that was created by Roon. It opens in the Open Office Spreadsheet function. This approach may be better for those that don’t want to play with file converters, as easy as they are now.

THE BAD NEWS:

No matter which approach you take, Roon outputs a subset of the meta data associated with files whether they are your local files or from a streaming service, I use Tidal. The data that you get - this is directly from the unmodified XLS file produced by Roon:

Album Artist
Album
Disc#
Track#
Title
Track Artist(s)
Composer(s)
External Id
Source
Is Dup?
Is Hidden?
Tags
Path

My purpose in doing this was to be able to search my library with more flexibility than Roon provides. There are lots of posts on this topic. It is a start.

An alternative that I may take that looks a bit more promising is to output a play list from JRiver Media Center. There are lots of problems with this approach, but it does output a tiny bit more data that I am interested in like conductor information.

I hope the above approaches are useful to Mac users. I am happy to answer any questions about what I have posted.

Please let me know if I have made any mistakes regarding Roon output fields.

It would still be nice to have a very simple feature within Roon to print to PDF. :wink:

You mean the PDF that sometimes comes when you purchase and download music? Or something else?