Private Devices - should be switchable

The “Private Devices” feature is very sensible. I don’t want my kids starting music on my laptop while I’m working as a joke.

However, I want to use my NUC/touchscreen combo as a Control-like unit, using the USB output, the App in “Remote” mode. Because of the “Private Devices” feature, this is not possible, or at least not properly: although I’ll be able to control the zone from the touchscreen, I won’t be able to control it from anywhere else, which is not what I want.

The mode needs to be switchable please.

We are going to release a standalone RoonSpeakers package that runs as a service. On a mac, this would live in the menubar. It would be accessible regardless of whether the remote is running/connected, and would behave just like an MS200–discoverable and controllable from anywhere on the LAN. This package is meant to solve your exact use case.

Private zones will remain private–they’re meant to address a different set of needs, and we don’t want to create confusion by creating two mechanisms to accomplish this.

1 Like

Thanks for that very positive answer!

Very nice. Will such a package be available for a Raspberry Pi perchance? And I guess I can’t stop myself thinking about a RoonSpeakers plugin for Logitech Media Server…

Very nice. Will such a package be available for a Raspberry Pi perchance? And I guess I can’t stop myself thinking about a RoonSpeakers plugin for Logitech Media Server…

Raspberry Pi is something we’re planning to support as soon as we have some time to invest in it.

Logitech is one where we likely won’t do the integration work ourselves, but we might enable members of that community to integrate RoonSpeakers instead. We’re still working out the details of how integrations like this might work.

4 Likes