Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

There is a resync delay option in device setup in Roon that may help with the clicks when switching samplerate.

hi, same is with Logitech Media server/squeezelite - added 1second delay when swithing sample rates in squeezelite but it did not help. (it inserts 1/2 silence at the end of old samplerate @ old sample rate, then it switches to new sample rate adds another 1/2 of silence (0bits for PCM)) ā€¦ from my experience it clicks often in between ā€¦ but will try with Roon to see if it operates differently.
Thank you, @TreeZorro

hi Martin just tried that as well (Roon resync delay) ā€¦ 100ms or 2seconds. either way it still pops on samplerate change.

Too bad. I thought there was a good chance that would help. I canā€™t think of anything else.

You could try to upsample everything in Roon, in such a way that the DAC always see the same bitrate. For example, if you have music from 44khz up to 192khz than upsample everything to 384khz in Roon.

You should also contact Pro-Ject to see if this noise when switching sample rate is because of some fault, of if its supposed to make a little noise.

hi Magnus, yes did try that and of course then it is ok. However it kinda beats the purpose of buying MQA DAC as then MQA is never reaching the DAC plus even DSD content is different ā€¦ however, will need to do EITHER that or s ee if there will be firmware upgrade (already contacted Pro-Ject) OR will have to sell it.

Have they replied to you, what did they say?

no they havent (yet). Got the DAC on thursday ā€¦ reported issue last night (saturday evening) ā€¦ not sure how to best contact them - i bought the dac online from german reseller (hifinesse.com) shipped to spain where i live and am not sure if they get the email or local distributor (form on pro-ject website suggests for support issues it might go to distributor) ā€¦ but i did get a auto response that form was received and someone should get back to me.
my gutfeel is that it might be fix in the firmware as some folks with headphones might be irritated too and i am pretty sure lot of audiophiles who have all kinds of content (from 44.1k CD to DSF/DSD music)ā€¦ ill give it 2-3 weeks before deciding if i should sell it.
as for sound - i am still very happy with it :slight_smile:

On pinkfishmedia forum where i also posted the issue even including recording of pops/clicks - John Westlake one of the designers (or main one) said they will look into it so i assume this will be fixed.
They seem to be really serious about making this puppy unique value in the marketplace !!!
:slight_smile:

Yea, I think Pro-Ject company has put a lot of money and effort into the S2/DS2 line to make a bigger name for themselves (who had even heard about Pro-Ject except vinyl lovers a few months back)? I am sure they will fix it, either with a firmware upgrade (if thats possible) or replace it.

Could be similar to the Schiit DACs where a change in sample rate resets the system to handle the new clock speed and you get a click.

The first batch of S2s allegedly have some parts in them (I think the capacitors) that arenā€™t the same as the ones originally specified. Maybe they arenā€™t discharging quickly enough.

hi @anon73739233,
yes you are right - that is the reason for the clicks/pops . But it seems it will be fixed in firmware ā€¦ see here
http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=201691&page=4
S2 DAC really switches instantly between sample rates, so i guess they will add silence/muting if possible for few msec and it will be just fine.

Here is a new review, its in Hungarian but google translate will make it readable. The reviewer seems to like the DAC a lot: http://www.sztereomagazin.hu/tesztek/audio/project+pre+box+s2+digitalkicsi+a+bors+es+digitalis.html

Is it possible to update firmware yourself?

not today as there is no publicly available firmware yet on pro-ject wesbite. but based on the thread i shared @ pinkfishmedia - yes. it is end-user upgradeable. just like other DACā€™s @ Project website.

Just saw the S2 gouged on eBay for $1577.89. Plus $29.33 shipping. Ha,Ha.

:slight_smile: I wonder if he gets it sold!

I will pick up mine in a local store tomorrow for the regular price (black color)!

Sweden, regular Swedish price (3900 sek which is about $400), Sure, Ill give some feedback on it, but I donā€™t have anything to compare with except my current DragonFly Red dac. The store got 3 of them today, I just hope I am not to late :slight_smile:

2 Likes

for all in Europe this will save you time googling. Not sure if any of those ship to North America but worth checking. Use google translate/chrome for help ā€¦
https://geizhals.eu/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-silver-a1635361.html (silver)
and
https://geizhals.eu/pro-ject-pre-box-s2-digital-black-a1635372.html (black)

Thatā€™s how i bought mine and had it delivered week ago :slight_smile:
Now am waiting for someone to start having proper remoteā€¦ small one that comes with it works just fine but it feel plasticky and its very smallā€¦ For those like me and 30ā‚¬ here is the Pro-ject makes:
http://www.box-designs.com/main.php?prod=controlitpreboxs2digital&cat=accessories&lang=en

Should be in stock in next 2 weeks at many places.

The manual is about 4 pages, and is available on their website. Not sure if the menu language is changed though - is certainly isnā€™t user configurable.