Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital

To avoid misunderstanding, you are recommending this part:

Part no.: 168605

Why is a micro USB adapter needed?

Problem with my PBS2D. :astonished:
Out of the blue it doesn’t play MQA anymore and I hear loud pink/white noise when I use sample rate conversion to DSD. Everything I play is shown as 44,1 kHz or 48 kHz.
I bought it just before the new year on Amazon.de and contacted the seller. I hope to get a replacement.

The DAC uses a micro USB port to connect an external power supply.

I use this power supply (part number 1953612) compared to the one linked by @dabassgoesboomboom as it has a 2.1 mm barrel connection, which was easier to find an adapter on amazon in that size.

3 Likes

Oops, good find. That’s indeed the better one. I could never buy it so I didn’t read far enough to see the plug size

What Kevin said. Have a look at a photo of the back of the S2D and it will make more sense. I’m a visual guy.

1 Like

Does anyone know where can I buy the box in the US or preferably Canada? I’ve contacted the resellers listed in the product’s website and they all said distribution in that region is not available yet. I remember reading that a few bought it online in the US but I can’t find the website. It appears in Amazon, but currently out of stock.

Amazon shows to have 1 left in stock, It is the silver one.

–MD

I asked a local HiFi store if they sold lots of these DACs, and he said it was their best selling DAC (and they have Chord Mojo and iFI DACs as well). So it seems its a popular DAC.

I live in Sweden though, but I would guess its similar in USA/Canada.

Not available in Canada yet…
Several people here ordered it from:
https://www.audioadvice.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=Pro-Ject+Pre+Box+S2+Digital
But I don’t think they ship to Canada.

The one on Amazon.com now (sold by Turntable Lab) does ship to Canada.

New question:

I am considering the following combination of equipment and wonder if it will work as I hope.

Sonore Micro-Rendu > Uptone ISO REGEN > Project S2 Digital > McIntosh MA6500 integrated amp.

Roon Core running on my iMac in another room.

Will and iPad or iPhone with Roon allow me to control the music coming from this setup remotely?

Many thanks.

Yes you can control it as long as you are in the same network
I tested the iphone and the app won’t allow you to do certain things with Roon, a tablet I believe might be preferred

My setup External HDD --> NUC ROCK with Roon —> USB to Pro-Ject S2 --> Analog to Yamaha AS2100 --> klipsch P37f

The Sonore devices integrate with Roon, and they Sonore guys are very knowledgeable and nice people in case you need support.

1 Like

Magnus if you don’t mind me asking the cheap Chinese LPS you have is the “LHY 25 watt Talema” correct? if it is did it worked out of the box? mine goes from 4.60 V to 2.07 when connected to my S2 and the S2 won’t power up and the multi turn trimming potentiometer doesn’t seems to do anything.
Just wondering if your experience was seamless.

Thanks

Yes, thats the one I have. Mine stays at 5V steady and works good, your sounds (very) broken so send it back.

Hey thanks for the feedback
Take care

Using a SBT streaming from a NAS and running Roon core from a NUC.
Will I be able to control volume direct on the S2 from my Roon app on various devices?

Okay, got the new unit. All is well. Went very smoothly after I found out I needed to go through Audio Advisor :slight_smile:

Given the latest Roon release 1.5, what is the preferred setup for the S2 related to MQA? Currently I have DSP enabled (Upsampled to DSD256) and MQA (rendering and decoder) and seems to be working fine playing MQA, the S2 indicates MQB.

So for the S2 owners is that the optimal setup?

Thanks

I think Roon skips any Roon upsample when MQA is both decoded and rendered, but if you select “No MQA” than roon will do the first unfold, and then you can do whatever with the result (like upsample to DSD).

Hi Govnah

Great to hear you’re enjoying the S2 DAC. It’s a cool little thing.

I’ve been trying to get the MQB to show on the S2 DAC’s screen, with Roon DSD up-sampling and Roon doing the 1st MQA unfold, like you are doing.

Can you share a screenshot of your Roon signal path that gives you MQB on your S2 DAC screen?

And also share screenshots of your MQA settings in Roon?

So I can copy exactly and try to reproduce.

Cheers!

USB attached to an Allo USBBridge.

3 Likes