Pro-rata of annual to lifetime

Hi Jim,

Well, whilst this is true, many companies offer very long or lifetime warranties. Whether they or I am here to see that through is a bit different.

Well, this is what’s unclear to me. Companies, whomever they may be, can’t just do as they please when they enter into a contract. Yes, they may change their prices whenever they decide, but not relating to those they’ve already entered in a contract.

Obviously, I wasn’t about when Roon first raised its lifetime subscription. However, those that entered into a contract with Roon as a lifetime subscriber surely didn’t have to pay the new balance to continue using the service.

I can’t find any terms of service/usage that make such details clear.

Cheers.

The Terms and Conditions comprising the Roon Software Licence Agreement are linked in the Roon program under Settings/About to this page.

1 Like

Thank you Jim - I just read that. :sunglasses: I still doesn’t provide the exact licence agreement - just a rationale for their previous price increase.

I have no issues with Roon’s current model, was merely trying to find some terms of agreement based on the above discussions.

Cheers mate. :smile:

I’ve split this discussion into its own thread and unlisted it for the moment. Roon had asked that we do so and refer folks to @accounts when questions regarding this change came up. They will now see this thread.

@andybob

Thank you Andy - I have perused that agreement. I am rushing now, on first perusal I did not find any information that pertains to this general pricing discussion.

It does say:
Roon Labs reserves its right, at any time and from time to time, with or without prior notice, to change or modify the terms of this License by posting new or revised terms and conditions, including updates relating to privacy, security, and additional functionality, at the time you receive upgrades. If you do not agree to the new or modified terms and conditions of the License you may not continue your use of Roon.

8.6 This License sets out the full extent of our obligations and liabilities in respect of the supply of the Roon Software and Documentation. In particular, there are no conditions, warranties, representations or other terms, express or implied, that are binding on us except as specifically stated in this License

I’m not overly concerned by any of this, I seem to find myself getting involved in ‘deep’ discussions when really it is what it is. However, I think clarity can’t hurt for all involved - lifetime or subscribers.

So is this binding or can it change without notice?
Your Roon subscription will renew and you will be automatically charged $119.88 using the payment method on file.

I think anything can always change, but if you’re in a contract the contract sticks for its duration. ie, the annual reoccurring contracts can change annually, a lifetime contract can change, well, every lifetime.

2 Likes

Well I just sent back a Ring doorbell because I refuse to be suckered Into a subscription business model. If subscription was my only option I’d probably buy something else entirely. I suspect many would feel the same.

Without the subscription, the Ring stuff is not real useful. SKYBELL HD retains video without a subscription.

1 Like

Definitely! No subscriptions here. Especially not for a door bell!

1 Like

I’ll be ordering the Eufy

plus my wife wants to buy me something for my 40th birthday and a subscription to roon doesn’t really cut it tbh. it’s lifetime or nothing imho

1 Like

That would be a nice gift along with a nice headphone rig.

naa don’t want a headphone rig. I already have a pair of Nuraphones. My Hifi/AV system consists of the following.

Denon AVPA1HDA AV Processor Pre Amp
5 Myryad MA240 Power Amplifiers running in Bridged Mono Config.
2 Pairs Of Naim Ariva Floorstanding Speakers (front and Rear) and the Matching NCent Center Speaker with B&W PV1 Subwoofer. I also have a squeezebox touch & There’s also some other gear (quite a bit tbh) but I’m satisfied with the sound quality for the most pert.

I’d get in on the lifetime subscription while you can, whether or not it’s your birthday gift. I just passed four years on my Roon lifetime subscription. I’m a couple of months from playing with the house’s money.

Roon will terminate lifetime subscriptions at some point. That has been made pretty clear.

1 Like

I’m swaying that way. I’m just a bit unsure of the future direction roon will be taking with the software. No Amazon HD support and I have no interest in tidal as my hifi doesn’t support MQA. Most of what I will be using it for is music from my Drobo. I would like to see sound loud, mixcloud and Amazon HD support but I doubt any of that will happen. The question is is roon that good or is it just the absence of alternatives? I’ve also looked into building a dedicated Music Focussed Kodi Build which is looking good so far. I’m not against paying £££ for software, Tesla charges £7000 for full self driving, I just want to know where its going in the future. Am I getting in at the start of the roon experience or near the end? what if they get bought by a manufacturer and the software ends up free as part of that manufacturers IP

1 Like

I use Roon with local library Flac and DSF files. I’ve had Tidal, but like Qobuz better.

Roon has taken big steps over the past four years. The firmware was comparatively primitive four years ago. It will be much different four years from now. Roon To Go (mobile) is still on the table. That’s something they have discussed adding for more than three years. I look at the lifetime subscription as the cost or depreciation cost of a minor component.

You make good points. One can never know the future. I didn’t figure we’d be on lockdown…
Either way, I hope you have a happy 40th…I just rolled over #60 last month.

Hi all,

We did recently update some of our pricing policies:

1. If you switch to a lifetime subscription during the first 30 days after a charge for a yearly subscription, you only pay the difference, $580.11. At any other time, you pay the full $699.99 and no full or partial refunds will be granted for prior payments.

2. All lifetime subscription sales are final, no refunds. (we have lots of scary red text about this, but still, be careful!)

The main reason for these changes is that our payment processor no longer returns their original processing fee when we issue a refund. That gets expensive quick, especially on larger transactions like lifetime subscriptions.

Happy birthday to you too, mine was last week (still waiting for my gift haha). I do admit I like it, I’ve also spent 2-3 solid weeks updating musicbrainz with details of my library and retagging all 1000 of my albums so they match properly. I feel like I’ve done the hard work myself manually already lol.

1 Like

Marketing text on a website is not a binding contract. All prices are subject to change and you are subject to the price at the time of payment.

If we lowered the price from $699 to $299, would you still pay us $699 because that’s what the website said when you signed up?

If we lower the price of an annual, I’ sure no one will complain when we charge you less.

If we raise price of an annual, you will get a warning that we will not auto-renew you without an explicit opt-in at the higher price.

Prices are what you pay for them, and you are guaranteed service for that period. Future pricing is subject to whatever it is at that time. There are no promises for any price going forward. Don’t read so hard into it.