Pro-rata of annual to lifetime

Is that a change? No more prorates in the annual subscription? Used to be if you upgraded six months in, you get credit back for half a year of the annual subscription.

It would seem so, check out the lifetime pricing on https://roonlabs.com/pricing.

1 Like

Yes. Roon policy has changed regarding pro-rata when shifting from annual to lifetime. The current policy is set out at the link given by Martin and reads as follows:

You can choose to switch to lifetime billing at any time. Just visit your account page and select the lifetime billing option. If you switch during your trial, you will be billed $699.99 when your trial ends. If you switch during the first 30 days after a charge for a yearly subscription, you will only pay the difference, $580.11. At any other time, you will pay the full $699.99 and no full or partial refunds will be granted for prior payments.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification. Didn’t catch the change, but I’m lifetime anyway. Glad to be aware so as not to give bad information to other users.

1 Like

I will say at the time of my subscription purchase, our dollar had an overnight ‘meltdown’, wholly due to this outbreak. I had intended to buy a ‘lifetime’, it just made more sense to me. However, in that 24hr period when it came to payment the price of purchase went up over $400 - that was just crazy! It went from approximately $1100 (already expensive) to $1500+. I can’t imagine many Americans would pay $1000+ - let alone $1500+. That said Roon’s model is in US dollars & there is no regional price structural difference. Whether that should change or not is a totally different subject. :smiley:

I’m not exactly sure of the timeline (I could check my subscription), however I think our dollar (I’ve not checked this morning) is now where it was at previously or close enough since that ‘meltdown’ ~ month ago.

Would our dollar normally fall so substantially? Of course not. Am I unlucky? I’d suggest so, it has been unknown territory.

So, whilst I’m not exactly answering your question, I am confirming I paid considering more than what would be typical & am still paying more as the lifetime had jumped so dramatically.

Roon lifetime is US 699, that’s 558 pounds & not the 700 pounds stated I believe.

Cheers.

1 Like

Ouch - on the basis of reading this forum, I had assumed there was a pro-rata deal within the first 6 months.

I guess that’s my fault for not reading all the documentation. I was stung by an overnight meltdown in the exchange rate, entirely due to these unprecedented times (now bounced back) & I can’t upgrade. Ouch!!!

I need to change professions.

:laughing:

It wasn’t you Nostro, the changes to the website including the new policy were made recently. Until then mods and other users had been making references to the previous policy. Those references are now being removed in order to avoid confusion going forward.

As a fellow Aussie I can only sadly agree with your observations regarding the impact of the exchange rate on the value proposition for Roon.

As to the future of the lifetime subscription, Roon have been clear that they want to discourage it and eventually I would expect it to disappear. There is no timeline for this, I understand it depends upon arrangements between Roon and some other parties. If those arrangements shifted then lifetime could disappear without warning.

Accordingly I would encourage anyone thinking of shifting to lifetime to do it asap. I don’t think it is good thinking to wait until any existing annual subscription expires. Although the shift to lifetime has again become comparatively more expensive, there is no real benefit in waiting. Users would still be spending the same amount in total either way and there is no difference in service between annual and lifetime subscriptions.

3 Likes

Buy now. Roon worth every $, $200 more from original $499. Do it before lifetime could disappear without warning.

1 Like

Thank you Andrew for your detailed response. It is appreciated.

On the basis of what you’ve just written, I have searched for terms of service of Roon (not the community where I find plenty of information). I cannot find any such thing. However, there must be some sort of legal licensing agreement between the user & Roon.

I am only thinking about this now on the basis of what you’ve just written.

My account tells me:
Your Roon subscription will renew and you will be automatically charged $119.88 using the payment method on file.”
You may also switch to
[lifetime billing] for $699.99

Beyond that I do not see very much information. Therefore, I view that as a binding agreement. I do not expect in the course of my subscription those figures to change. Perhaps for new users yes & that’s something different; it may be more or indeed it could be less.

However, if there is some fine print well hidden (as I do not see it), that somehow removes this stated terms of service based on: ‘insert reason’, that perhaps that is something different. Although, to the best of my knowledge agreements need to be understood & stated in plain English, rather than hidden on page 637 of some lengthy document. :laughing:

Notwithstanding, I’m thinking about ‘terms of service’ for both lifetime & subscribers alike. Sure it makes sense, in the long run, to buy Roon for ‘lifetime’ use.

This idea that Roon is working with ‘other’ parties & pricing structure may change, leads me to think, they are working to sell Roon off in the long term. Is there some guarantee that if Roon is sold that existing lifetime customers would be honoured?

I would imagine over the course of Roon’s history such matters have been discussed. However, some up to date information may be useful for some. Further, if there is a link to Roon’s terms of service (not the community), that would be handy & likely would answer some of my questions posed.

Cheers.

1 Like

Thanks seaharp…I do see that. However, based on some of the above conversation in terms of buying lifetime soon as they may change their subscriptions; does that then mean that offer cannot change for the period of my subscription or within the terms can Roon change rates or withdraw offers at their own choosing?

Hi Jim,

Well, whilst this is true, many companies offer very long or lifetime warranties. Whether they or I am here to see that through is a bit different.

Well, this is what’s unclear to me. Companies, whomever they may be, can’t just do as they please when they enter into a contract. Yes, they may change their prices whenever they decide, but not relating to those they’ve already entered in a contract.

Obviously, I wasn’t about when Roon first raised its lifetime subscription. However, those that entered into a contract with Roon as a lifetime subscriber surely didn’t have to pay the new balance to continue using the service.

I can’t find any terms of service/usage that make such details clear.

Cheers.

The Terms and Conditions comprising the Roon Software Licence Agreement are linked in the Roon program under Settings/About to this page.

1 Like

Thank you Jim - I just read that. :sunglasses: I still doesn’t provide the exact licence agreement - just a rationale for their previous price increase.

I have no issues with Roon’s current model, was merely trying to find some terms of agreement based on the above discussions.

Cheers mate. :smile:

I’ve split this discussion into its own thread and unlisted it for the moment. Roon had asked that we do so and refer folks to @accounts when questions regarding this change came up. They will now see this thread.

@andybob

Thank you Andy - I have perused that agreement. I am rushing now, on first perusal I did not find any information that pertains to this general pricing discussion.

It does say:
Roon Labs reserves its right, at any time and from time to time, with or without prior notice, to change or modify the terms of this License by posting new or revised terms and conditions, including updates relating to privacy, security, and additional functionality, at the time you receive upgrades. If you do not agree to the new or modified terms and conditions of the License you may not continue your use of Roon.

8.6 This License sets out the full extent of our obligations and liabilities in respect of the supply of the Roon Software and Documentation. In particular, there are no conditions, warranties, representations or other terms, express or implied, that are binding on us except as specifically stated in this License

I’m not overly concerned by any of this, I seem to find myself getting involved in ‘deep’ discussions when really it is what it is. However, I think clarity can’t hurt for all involved - lifetime or subscribers.

So is this binding or can it change without notice?
Your Roon subscription will renew and you will be automatically charged $119.88 using the payment method on file.

I think anything can always change, but if you’re in a contract the contract sticks for its duration. ie, the annual reoccurring contracts can change annually, a lifetime contract can change, well, every lifetime.

2 Likes

Well I just sent back a Ring doorbell because I refuse to be suckered Into a subscription business model. If subscription was my only option I’d probably buy something else entirely. I suspect many would feel the same.

Without the subscription, the Ring stuff is not real useful. SKYBELL HD retains video without a subscription.

1 Like