Problem with HQPlayer audio - connected, playing music but no sound

Hello, I hope someone can help me out, I’m struggling with this.

I am using Mac Mini M2, with Roon Server and HQP on the Mac Mini. I output via USB to a Singer SU-6 DDC, which then outputs to two DACs via AES and Coax. I have setup everything in Roon as per the guide, and it looks like everything is properly connected. I use HQPlayer Desktop (not Client, since I am using Roon to control playback). Since both Roon and HQP are on the same device, I’m using ‘localhost’.

I can select the HQP zone, play music and the music bar progresses and the Roon equalizer starts going, to indicate that it is indeed playing to that zone. But no music plays.

Also, when I am playing music from within Roon to the HQP zone, if I start fiddling around in HQP then Roon tells me it lost control of the audio device, which I understand is correct behavior. My point is just that it appears as if it’s working properly, the equalizer is playing, the control is lost when expected, etc. But no sound comes out. Seems like everything is working, except for the actual music. If I play to my SU-6 zone, music comes out of both DACs just fine. If I play to the HQP zone, no music.

I suspect it might be my Output settings but I have tried all combos and still no luck. Here are my Output and Input settings:

You can set your input backend to “[none]” if you are not using the input feature.

You have output mode set to “[source]”, so seeing the PCM settings (assuming you are playing a PCM source) would help, but I’m not expecting surprises there.

Your volume is at -44 dB though which is pretty normal figure if you are using software volume. But if you are using hardware volume the net gain may be pretty low.

Also please remember to disable your DAC from Roon Settings → Audio!

1 Like

Thank you very much @jussi_laako , I appreciate your response. I disabled everything but HQP, and when I set my Output Device to DEFAULT I was able to get audio out through my MacMini speakers, but when I changed it over to SU-6, nothing would come out via my amp. I then changed the Device to a direct connection to the Holo May and it worked, I now get sound.

I would love to be able to play out via the SU-6, so I can connect via I2S or AES to all my DACs/amps, so if you have ideas as to how to enable play through via SU-6, I’d appreciate it. Otherwise I will experiment with the USB connection, thank you.

Are you possibly accidentally trying to output higher rate than 192k through the DDC? Since AES and S/PDIF are max 192k, higher rates won’t work. Also remember to set DAC Bits to at most 24, since those interfaces cannot pass more, although many USB-DDC’s claim 32-bit formats.

USB doesn’t have such limitations though.

I cannot quickly think of other reasons.