Problems with genres

Content you’re reporting an issue with

<

The titles of the songs on the album appear in the genres. Yet they are not in any album tags on my PC. I have this problem on several albums. Is this normal?

Have you made any edits to this content in Roon?

Is the album identified in Roon?

yes

Is this content from local files, TIDAL, or Qobuz?

From my PC

Screenshot of import settings

Description of the issue

Have a look at the metadata of the album in a viewer like mp3tag.

1 Like

Of course I checked my tags with tag Editor and nothing. I inspected all tag fields (including “Category”) and everything is OK. It is on import that it implements the song title as a genre.

No, it’s not, and I’m not sure what is going on. You say you have the problem on “several” albums - I assume that this means that not all albums show up like this?

What happens if you (as a test) turn off the “Use genres extracted from file tags” in Settings > Library > Import settings? Do the titles still show up as genres?

Indeed by doing what you say (turn off the “Use genres extracted from file tags”) the Titles disappear from the genres but then all my tags disappear too !!! And I don’t want to. What is curious is that this happens on the albums where I created a personal tag “Chanson Française” which does not exist in roon. I’m thinking of the “ç”

… “Chanson Française” in Genre

When the problem occurs, most often there are all the tracks on the album, sometimes only a few…

For the moment I clean the genres by deleting the titles by editing the metadata of each album. It’s painful …

Well, I tried that with my own albums, but it didn’t make the bug appear, for example:

What metadata editor are you using?

Tag Editor.
Sorry, I told you something stupid. Importing by blocking personal genres also sent song titles.

Precision. in import I asked to keep my song titles and not those of roon.

In Tag Editor, I checked all fields in the album (all columns) to be sure that the title would not be included in a hidden field.

Try a different editor.

I thought that app was only for mobile devices?

As Ged said, try a different editor, for example, Mp3tag - the universal Tag Editor (ID3v2, MP4, OGG, FLAC, …)

I bought this application. The job with it is very good. I don’t want to change and why the probleme is with the other editor ? And Roon ?

Well no one else sees this issue in 250k users so chances are it’s something in your media.
Mp3tag is free on windows so you can get another look.

1 Like

@Frederic_Malbrel … can you post the file tags as seen by roon for one of the album tracks where track titles show up as genres? Maybe that gives an idea what goes on. You find this info via the three dot menu after each, see example below.

Depending on the number of tags present, you may have to take two or more screenshots in step (4) – and scroll down in between to capture all the info.

I found the answer. I’m using Music Brainz and an extension tag the “Style” field which in Roon is imported as a genre. And it was in style that Music Brainz wrote the title…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.