Process of choosing what you listen to?

Hello fellow Roonies

I’m curious to see how people choose what they decide to listen to.

In my case I tend to listen to curated playlists from others, find a track I like and then listen to that said artists album. I then usually end up down a rabbit hole going from here to there. Crossing multiple genres along the way.

With so much choice of fantastic musical artistry I do sometimes find it a chore to decide and rely on you guys in several of the music threads. Thank you.

2 Likes

I often put my collection into most played then scroll to the bottom so I don’t miss anything.

4 Likes

Simple idea and not one I had thought of doing :man_facepalming:

Me in a nutshell….

3 Likes

Whatever suits my mood at the time.

Sometimes it may be a particular type of music, or a particular track or album I’m thinking of I’d like to hear. Sometimes in a single listening session I may be all over the place, lol. Sometimes I’ll scroll through new releases on Qobuz, or follow interesting looking links in Roon to see what I find. Sometimes there are just too many choices! :hushed:

1 Like

I have an unbelievably convoluted system for listening to albums.

1. All my albums are catalogued in a spreadsheet.
  2. Albums are sorted by a date field called “Replay”.
  3. I listen to albums in order of the Replay date.
  4. After I listen to an album, I adjust my rating for the album.
  5. After rating the album, I adjust the next Replay date (which is weighted based on my rating).

The main advantage is that I never have to stare at my collection and wonder what I’m in the mood for. I just play the next thing on my list and if it made me want to listen to it again, I raise the rating. If not, I lower the rating.

I also like that it’s super scalable (3,500+ albums now) and keeps me exposed to my entire collection without burning out on favorites. More highly rated albums get played more frequently (but not TOO frequently). Less liked albums are played less frequently.

I also have systems for adding new albums and culling out the most disliked albums but this could turn into a very, very long description that I’m certain would make everyone question my sanity even more than they already do.

4 Likes

I tend to go through genre phases. At the moment it’s hip-hop and contemporary R&B. I’m a local library person, but use Qobuz to hunt out things to buy (downloads, 2nd hand CDs and occasional new CDs).

I do find the “Discover” feature of Roon useful if I can’t decide what to listen to. It provides a sort of scattershot of my library.

3 Likes

Mostly I let the wonderful Random extension pick an album for me from my collection.

.sjb

2 Likes

I have lots of opinions on music and a quite clear idea of what interests me, and I follow that path, which takes me from one artist to the next.

2 Likes

And it just led me here

.sjb

1 Like

Often, I will “flit” hither and yon. I’ll play a piece, then maybe go to the composer’s body of work for another selection, or perhaps the artists’ portfolios who played it. Then I might read the bio info, which often has interesting text about collaborators or other albums. Sometimes with classical works I’ll listen to other pieces with the same form (e.g. sonata) or the same time period.

In other words, I just follow my nose. The “proces” (if you can call it that) is not organized at all, and I’m sure I miss a lot. But the journey is quite enjoyable to me.

1 Like

I do almost the same thing but by reversing the sort order to avoid scrolling. :wink:

4 Likes

A digital pin :smiling_imp:

I really don’t know , I just meander, first decision is Classical or non Classical, then usually an Artist . Then Roon’s Magic clicks in , I follow hyperlinks until I settle.

Unlike picking a CD where you had to get up and go get, Digital now makes flitting a bit too easy.

Currently it’s 461 Ocean Boulevard because I was looking for a specific album I couldn’t remember, so I sorted Albums A-Z , numbers on top.

There is no logic, just so much good stuff to go at.

Classical, I tend to pick a Composer and follow works eg meandering Bach Keyboard works , flitting piano to harpsichord

2 Likes

I start often with blind scrolling/choosing in my local library and use afterwards the connections shown by Roon. Musicians, composer, etc.
This gives me new ideas of bands & artists, but follows the chosen genre/style in some way.

I like to live on the edge :wink:

2 Likes

I set up a focus on tracks not played which I bookmarked. Then I play them on shuffle. When I go through the whole library, I reset the playcount and start over. I’ve added so many albums over the past few years that I haven’t had to reset the playcount in a long time. There’s always something new to listen to.

1 Like

Nice thread, tones of good ideas.

For the moment I only use tidal with no local music. Lately I tend to listen about 95% classical. So it goes like this:

1. I pick something that I enjoy from the findings of the past week and listen to that every day of the following week.
  2. I check the new releases and try to play those, if I like one I browse that artist discography
  3. roon classical thread
  4. Search other performances for the piece of the week
  5. Search reviews (for the moment I search by label the awarded releases on https://www.prestomusic.com/)
  6. roon what we are listening thread
  7. roon what is moving and grooving blog
  8. Your daily mixes from the roon home page
  9. I try not to replay (too much)
3 Likes

I select one of my favorite artist and use Roon radio to see what’s comming up

2 Likes

Several sources of inspiration… Roughly in order

• I have many “scenario” based playlists - depending on who I am with and what we are doing. Some are on Tidal and some live in Roon
  • I have a bunch of bookmarks (mainly Jazz) based on albums and ratings or tracks and selects, some factor in when/if played and release date (“5 star jazz albums released since 2015 that I have not listened too” - I have a bad habit of adding jazz albums and not listening to them)
  • Curated playlists from Spotify brought into Tidal (Soundiz)
  • suggestions from forums here mostly from the Jazz threads
  • exploration of a known album, using Roon to look at discography and branch off from there
  • MixTape streams / JazzGroove streams
  • Shazaming songs out in the world into Spotify (sound to Tidal)
2 Likes

Please tell me where and how to get this Extension for my Roon library. Thank you in advance…

1 Like

I had a look into this and either didn’t look hard enough or was too tired. I didn’t see how.

@Sloop_John_B could you share detailed info?

Thanks in advance

1 Like