Prog and Proud!

Three, including 2019.

You are definitely a Prog Rocker! That’s an enviable concert list.

This is as close as I get, I’m afraid:

1 Like

The latest Dream Theater CD, Distance Over Time, is a piece of work. Very heavy and very prog…

5 Likes

I’ll second the vote for Brit Floyd. I’ve seen them twice, two very different shows, and they do a fantastic job with both music and visuals. Barring a solo show from any surviving member of Pink Floyd or a future reunion (seems unlikely), this is as close as you’re going to get. I took my 19-year-old son to the show and a good time was had by all, as they say. Cheers!

2 Likes

I’ll also second this recommendation. Would love to catch a live show, but not too likely they’ll land in my neck of the woods in central New York any time soon!

I concur, and if you ever get the chance to see them (too late for now… I saw them last month in Bristol which was one of the top 5 gigs I’ve ever been to) then live, they are exceptional. Polish humour and an ability not to take themselves or the genre too seriously, added value to an excellent set.

1 Like

I had the opportunity to see them March 31st in Stockholm. Great show!

Q: Do you listen to Prog rock?
A: image

Q: How many prog musicians does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
A: Just one, but it takes 25 minutes

Ah, my misspent youth listing to prog rock. Anyone else still listening to Grobschnitt?

First heard this in Denmark some 30+ years ago when I was inter-railing around Europe. Bought the album (12" gatefold) and carried it for 4 weeks as I travelled through Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, Luxembourg, France, etc and then home. A miracle it was not stolen from hostels and arrived home intact.

Another classic (??) from my youth. For anyone interested Brian Devoil has been re-releasing their old albums at http://twelfthnight.info/

and another

Finally something a little newer

9 Likes

It’s fine, it’s ALL fine. :slight_smile:

Big Big Train new album out in a couple of weeks. This is their recent live album. Also try Southern Empire: their two albums are brilliant.

Swan Hunter

1 Like

Another cracking album with a prog pedigree.

1 Like

My pick of the week - RPWL - Tales From Outer Space

2 Likes

I agree with the “Lets start a Prog” category for Roon !! Maybe with some attention we could get some bands that aren’t on Tidal or Qobuz ( like Spock’s Beard ) to realize their missing an opportunity to capture more fans and get their work out there to be heard !!

2 Likes

Although, you can get many SB’s albums in High Def from Bandcamp and other online sellers for very cheap.

Only the newer stuff, non of the classics with Neal Morse

Massive prog fan here. I think the best prog has yet to come!

My adult kids are all prog fans with me, from King Crimson and Yes to Steven Wilson and (mostly Portnoy-era) Dream Theater. Prog lives on! My wife and I went to Morsefest if that tells you anything.

Probably my fave of all is Gentle Giant.

2 Likes

1 Like

Some new music to explore.

Never thought of this genre before. A little confused about what it is, Wikipedia not withstanding.

On the other hand, from Wikipedia -
Post-progressive” is a term invented to distinguish a type of rock music from the persistent “progressive rock” style associated with the 1970s.[39] In the mid to late 1970s, progressive music was denigrated for its assumed pretentiousness, specifically the likes of Yes, Genesis, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer.[

The pointing and laughing continued well into the 80s as I recall.

1 Like