Prog and Proud!

7 Likes

4 Likes

I saw them several times in concert when they released their debut album.

Enjoyed them several times on Cruise to the Edge.

1 Like

Oh really.
Wasn’t their somehow crossover jazz-like sound unusual in US those days?

Yes, it was. Growing up in the DC area, they were based there for a bit. In 1976, Gabriel came down to audition them as his backup band for his tour. They didn’t get the gig, but did get the Arista Recoding contract.

2 Likes

Thanks. Have not heard this group before. Enjoying.

1 Like

This article is quite interesting and helpful.
Especially in the lower rankings. :smiley:

Wow, you know a lot!!

It’s disappointing there isn’t their second album on TIDAL.

I’ve never taken much stock In Rolling Stone. They are more about commercial success rather than talent. Check Prog magazine.

Ok. Maybe there are people out there that think Tool is not progressive, but in my book they are.

And the new single out today? Djeeez. I think they deserve their own genre :wink:

Tool are certainly unique. I bought all their CDs earlier in the year due to them not being on Tidal. They are on some streaming services now though, what with the new CD being due out.

Even tho tagged incorrectly (IMHO), one of the first concept albums.
Back in the day, my favorite to listen to while waiting to get off -

2 Likes

Can I break a lance for Marillion?

And not the ‘old’ one, but the current with Steve Hogarth?

IMHO this is one of the most underrated bands in the progressive/symphonic rock scene. Most people only refer to the band with Fish, totally ignoring the fact that:

• Steve Hogarth is one hell of a singer
  • they made more albums with Hogarth then with Fish

So give them a chance. If your not up with the ‘Steve Hogarth era’ work, then I suggest you start with Brave and end with the latest FEAR from 2016.

Their live concerts are special as well.

Oh. And on the topic of under estimation: Steve Rothery is one hell of a guitar player :slight_smile:

6 Likes

6 Likes

5 Likes

4 Likes

Solo album from the Haken guitarist. Very proggy and divers.

2 Likes

Big Haken fan here, thanks @Henri, I will definitely give this a listen!

2 Likes