Progress bar impacts sound quality

Thanks Carl,

Unfortunately I have no wired devices on the music subnet. I am also not sure how testing this will help. If the progress bar update needs some sort of acknowledgement from the tablet or wired device, all remotes will degrade sound quality wired or wifi, just some more then others depending on network quality.

Roon should be able to look at the code to determine how their implementation works.

Not even this one?

Yes, that’s wired but is the machine I am trying to control from the remote.

I want a remote, not a local. I use Roon as a remote control for HQplayer.

I think they’re in the troubleshooting phase, not the final solution phase right now. Ultimately, I think the point is trying to isolate whether or not it’s noise from WiFi traffic or something else that’s causing this problem.

Do you have a laptop that has a wired ethernet connection that you can connect to your audio subnet just to test with?

Also, since no one else has mentioned it I’m going to throw this out there. Where are the various components of your setup (wifi access points, NAS, computer, etc) in relation to your DAC? I’ve had a situation very similar to the one you describe that was due to the customer insisting on using some super-special home-grown ethernet cables that were so short that the wifi router had to sit next to the DAC. Turning off wireless (and ultimately moving the wireless access point away from the stereo) solved the problem.

You don’t mention other components in your system, but wifi in close proximity to vacuum tubes is a recipe for pain.

1 Like

Andrew, thanks for your reply. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The behavior here has been observed at 4 different locations, 3 different pcs, and each location had a mix of tube and solid state solutions, differing network implementations etc.

All were high-end audio systems worth many 10s of thousands of $ each, built by experts in both analog and digital audio.

I am sure that the Roon people have all they need to diagnose the problem.