Proper hardware to support 500K+ tracks

In my case I want to have plenty of RAM because I also run HQPlayer on the Roon server with Windows 10. I have 48 GB of RAM and I use 25% (12 GB occupied, 36 GB free). RAM is cheap, a system runs better the more free memory there is, because there are peaks and caches).

So youā€™re using Fidelizer to get rid of unnecessary background Windows processes in order to improve SQ, while at the same time running HQPlayer, which is way more resource-intensive than any background processes combined. There must be some magic going on my engineering mind canā€™t grasp.

2 Likes

Have you ever used Fidelizer Pro? Because it consists precisely in prioritising some processes (Roon Server, HQPlayer) and minimising the interference of others. In any case, it would be good for your engineering mind to test the apps before thinking about them.

I havenā€™t used it because my engineering mind tells me it would be an utterly pointless exercise - akin to trying to determine the shape of certain celestial bodies.

Perfect, we can live without you and your opinions.

Ouch! You must not be a regular on these forumsā€“people are quick to offer their opinions and dismiss others. I use Fidelizer Pro and have no doubt that it was the single most impactful way to improve the audio in my system other than speakers. But, Iā€™m no engineer either. Everyone approaches this hobby with different perceptions.

2 Likes

Right. And also with a dismissiveness and an abuse of the fallacy of authority.

1 Like

Oh yes, thereā€™s plenty of that too :rofl:

1 Like

I run Roon Core on my personal PC (7/24) - i7 8th Gen - 32GB RAM - SSD and a 10 GB/s Interface.
On my Synology NAS (RAID5, no SSD Cache), also a 10GB/s is attached to the 10GB/s Switch.
Read/Write from to NAS have sign. rised up - no hicks or anything.

This PC does also run several other Databases and stuff. My NUC10 i7 runs the Remote in the Listening Room. all devices have LAN. Very happy with it - but I have to say, that the last 2 Roon Build had created some strange behavior in start/stop and other things, which I did not had before.
So make sure, that its not the Build. (of course, Gen 6 is a bit outdated)

It would appear though that fidelizer is manipulating an OS that simply wasnā€™t designed to do what roon is asking of it. Why not then use proper server software, do you use the PC for anything else?

Why is Roon asking of the OS that was not designed for?

In this case hosting and serving 500k files.

NTFS can contain over 4B files and about 8PiB per volume. exFAT clocks in at 2M files per directory and 128PiB per volume, while for ext4 the limits are 4B files and 1EiB per volume. I donā€™t know Linux or MacOS, but Windows can accommodate up to 128TiB of RAM. Itā€™s common for corporate servers to host and serve millions of files per share.

And yet the op has issue with 500k.

I never had terrific success with windows server or at least Linux based servers have faired far better for me. Less ā€˜fettlingā€™ for sure.

But hey I have no skin in this game, you win windows is perfect for being a server

FWIW, I moved to a NUC10i7 with an internal 500gb SSD for ROCK and a 4TB internal SSD for music. I have 250k tracks (some streaming but they take space in the Roon db). Performance of this is great. I appreciate the appliance nature of it.

If you wanted to be really performant, run HQPlayer, etc, you should consider a very fast Windows 10 machine and run over RAAT or NAA (HQP) over the network.

I ran into the problem with a much larger library and following the advice of @danny and @noris I upgraded my nucleus + to 16 GB of RAM and have had no problems since then

1 Like

Forgot to mention thatā€¦ My NUC10i7 is running with 32gb of RAM.

The sound is better on Windows than on Linux or Mac and more so with Fidelizer. Even the creator of HQPlayer recommends Windows, and not Windows Server, since there are optimizations that are not in the server version.

Roon has can officially run as a server on Windows there is no problem in this. Another thing is that they want to sell their own machines with Rock (and we all know that audio on Linux is not the best).

What are you on about? Roon is simply delivering the bits to what ever dac you are using. It does not sound ā€˜betterā€™ on windows but even more importantly I am talking about Roon being hosted in a server, which should be well away from your hifi.