Proxmox Help with Wifi Endpoints

Working with Proxmox and Roon Core. System works extremely well with all of my hardwired endpoints. Need help with Proxmox config to setup a Wireless network for Roon endpoints

I have reviewed this guide and tried to implement the code with no success, https://techlifetravel.com/proxmox-7-debian-11-bullseye-how-to-setup-wifi-network-2021-guide/
thus I determined Wlp5s0 is the wifi card in my Proxmox server.

This is the Servers Network config with the wpa_supplicant

Running Proxmox Virtual Environment 8.0.3

The Proxmox Roon Core config

also using TrueNas to store my files this is the Proxmox config

My goal is to use wifi RPI endpoints with the Proxmox / Core config.

Thanks for the support

Bridge your wired and wireless network somewhere. Why try to add a wireless network to a virtual machine?

Ok, did you ever do this ? Do you have an example of how you did it. If so I can’t wait to get it.

The problem I face today is: How do you add the wireless network hardware to the Proxmox server?
What are the steps / commands

After the server has the wireless configured then you add it to the VM, its probably like a usb port I know those hoops.

So I was trying to go down the wpa_supplicant Path but no success yet.
I have no idea why this feature is not included in the Proxmox basic downloads. All I find when I search the web is nothing that helps.Lots of sites state you can’t do this too. So it’s starting to look like I have to run hard lines to all of my endpoints. Can’t win em all…

Again, you don’t need (or really want) wireless on Proxmox. You want your wired and wireless network bridged at the switch / router somewhere. But, if you insist on adding wireless to a VM what I would do.

Take your wireless adapter, which I assume is USB?, and plug it into Proxmox. Then, configure proxmox to passthrough the USB device to the virtual machine. At that point, the VM will see the USB wireless network device and you can configure the supplicant based on that OS’s configuration.

Wifi can’t be shared like a Ethernet PHY so I wouldn’t try to add it as a network device to Proxmox directly.

https://pve.proxmox.com/wiki/USB_Devices_in_Virtual_Machines

You want “simple”.

When I say “bridge” your wired and wireless… In my network my “Roon” network is the same router interface that serves both wireless clients and wired. This is done because my APs are plugged into the same router port, via switches, as the wired devices. They share the same DHCP server and other network support resources. This is the right way, the way Roon expects, and is the only supported method for supporting both wired and wireless endpoints, remotes, etc. Adding a new network interface is tinkering.

Thanks for trying to help. Anyhow my wireless adapter is in my Proxmox server. What I need is to configure the hardware adapter inside the promox server first. I understand subneting too. For my first test everthing will be on the same subnet. After we have Wifi working on the server then we can build the VM=Roon Core and pass it thur. So currently when you look at my Proxmox Server hardware I don’t have a working wifi adapter. I don’t have USB ethernet devices either.

Any how Wlp5s0 is the wifi adapter. Trouble is I can’t get it to work.
I have reviewed this guide and tried to implement the code with no success, Proxmox 7 (Debian 11 Bullseye) - How to setup WiFi network - 2021 tutorial - TechLifeTravel.com
thus I determined Wlp5s0 is the wifi card in my Proxmox server.

Thanks for the support

This is a simple drawing of what I am trying to accomplish

So with this config I can’t see the wireless enpoints devices in the drawing. So I think this is what you are telling me to do. In the past I had a NAS Core and had the RPI Wifi enpoints working.

I going to reconfigure the access point tomorrow. Will let you know

They should call me ROCK HEAD…its working now thanks to you.!!! Let me explain
After I made the drawing and read your reply twice I saw the light.
I configured the Wifi Access point on the same subnet.

Anyhow how i got arround it before with the ROCK server ( Hardware ) vs ROCK VM was to configure the WIN PC ethernet hardwire to the ROCK Server, then the wireless to the RPI via Dietpi and Alllo. This bridged it but when I did this with proxmox no go…

In the end my tinker with the Rock Server ( hardware ) was ok but with Proxmox your configuration did the trick.

Thanks
ROCK HEAD…