PS Audio Octave - evolutionary niches lead to similarity

Like the price of almost all the products in the “audiophile” market…

1 Like

PS Audio is a high-end audio company who sells high-end gear. Roon is a great product but does have some deficiencies, like the sound. Roon has a target on its back and other companies are going to go after it. In my opinion PS Audio is not interested in multiple room control, they are after the audiophile who wants to listen to great sounding music. PS Audio equipment in general is not for the average listener.

I think PS Audio, in general, sells fantasy and hype. The only product that PS Audio sells that I have any interest in wasn’t even designed by PS Audio. It was designed by Ted Smith. That product is the DirectStream DAC. I own one and love the sound I get from it. The rest of their products are meh…

Your opinion is different from many reviewers who are published in the likes of Stereophile.

1 Like

I think PS Audio is fairly good. Especially their power stuff. I have a Stellar Gain Cell DAC I use for the office system. With their trade in special, I got a good price on it. It’s a competent device for my office system, although not high end.

My. main system is geared around Wyred for Sound equipment. I think its better than the PSA stuff.

I am hoping the Octave comes out this year. I’ve put my name in to purchase one when they come out. I took a reasonable cost approach with Roon. A NUC, lifetime, and a few Sonore endpoints. It will be fun to compare them both for a while and see where I land. I am taking the hobbyist approach to all of this. If the Octave is a bust for me, I’ll sell it. If it’s awesome I’ll repurpose my NUC. Reading reviews will only get me so far, eventually I’ll have to listen. Having experienced other PS gear and listened to the music from Octave Records, I feel pretty confident the Octave Player isn’t going to disappoint.

All of the PS A gear that I’ve owned has been built to a very high standard from the fit and finish to the quality of the componentry inside. Their customer service is world-class as is their involvement with their community. PS A like Team Roon are very active on their forum. In addition Paul McGowan has been posting short videos most every work day for quite some time discussing a wide range of audio concepts: Ask Paul Video | PS Audio

As far as Ted Smith not being an employee is concerned, I’m not sure if that’s true or if it matters. How many other companies are constantly hiring consultants or collaborating with others? Should we stop listening to collaborative recordings? Should all Architects only use the same construction firm and finish craft? Who hasn’t experienced the awesomeness of bringing new talent onto a Team and witness new ideas and concepts brought forward that may not have otherwise?

I think for PS A, their goal speaks for itself. Incredible value, incredible customer service, and a willingness to help their customers explore our hobby with active engagement and advice from someone by any measure is an industry icon.

Mind you this isn’t an advertisement for PS A. I do have gear from other vendors that I really enjoy including Hegel, Parasound, Simaudio, and Anthem. I also have a decent collection of vintage McIntosh and Marantz…maybe I have too much gear :wink:

You missed the point. Ted Smith is certainly not an employee of PS Audio. I really like Ted Smith and his DAC designs. My point was that the only product PS Audio sells that I have any interest in is not designed by them.

1 Like

Hey Speed,

I did get your point and I can appreciate what you are thinking. It makes sense if you aren’t a bonafide fan(insert gender here) like me :wink:

I was just trying to point out how much I dig collab. I hope I didn’t offend, not my intention. I’d rather tread lightly these days. This COVID life has softened my attitude as well as my mid-section.

Take care,
Vince

1 Like

No offense taken…collaboration is great.

1 Like

Sorry to hear that. New year, new waistline goals.

1 Like