Puccini Dac + QNAP

@Tuncer_Yilmaz
Yes, I’m aware of this. I’ve been using a similar setup with a perhaps even slightly higher grade clock (the Scarlatti Clock).
Still, regardless of the high engineering quality of dCS and their superb implementation of an asynchronous USB interface, I could observe notable quality differences between various USB sources. And, as an added bonus, one of the best sounding solutions (the USBridge) was relatively affordable even with a very silent linear power supply thrown in.

For those who want a plug&play solution, consider one of the Rendus from Sonore or SoTM.

@Albert_Jochems and @miguelito
Thank you very much for these details.

It seems both of you recommend:

QNAP NAS running Roon server > network > (USBridge or Sonore Rendu) as Roon Endpoint > USB on Scarlatti Clock > Puccini player

Over:

QNAP NAS running Roon server > USB on Puccini U-Clock > Puccini player

Forgive me if this is a stupid question, but what is the sonic (or other) benefit of introducing the USBridge or the Rendu? It seems like we are increasing the bit path significantly…

@Albert_Jochems
Minor point of clarification on:
“I would not expect DCS to invest in a 2 generations old product like Puccini to optimize it for Roon. But who am I to speak on their behalf…”

The Puccini and Paganini are the same generation, and the Paganini is recognized by Roon. Further, the Puccini far outsold the Paganini so there are many (many) more Puccini players out there

I’m still hoping to hear from @AMP from DSC re: Puccini support and prior questions

Couple of things:
1- Put NAS anywhere - 100ft away? No prob. Impossible with a USB connection
2- Can switch from NAS running Roon Core (which is frankly stretching the NAS to its limits) to something else that might not even have a USB connection without any changes in your hifi rig
3- Given the NAS running Roon Core is barely doable, the NAS is at it’s limits and likely increasing the noise across it’s components, especially the USB output
4- A streamer’s USB output is much cleaner and tailored for a USB DAC
5- Ethernet connections are balanced and transformer coupled - no common mode noise can go through, especially if you DON’T use cat7 cables - avoid sharing the ground!

It’s like a night and day difference to me - not subtle. Please do a sound comparison, you will be surprised.

Thank you @miguelito
Btw, I viewed your system and it is awesome. Congratulations!

I really appreciate the advice.

1 Like

I think this sums it up nicely, although I cannot comment on the remarks regarding the NAS being barely able to run Roon Core.
I don’t know the type of NAS @richard_keiser is using but my own QNAP TVS-473e runs Roon Core smoothly and stable and barely uses 20% of CPU capacity when using some DSP options and running multiple endpoints. And running various other services as well.

Ok fair enough. I meant in the general case. If you were to use things like DSD upsampling, you’d likely run out of power. Point taken though.

Thanks for input.
I absolutely agree with you.
At the end I should put a streamer player in the audio chain.That’s the right way.
My problem is that until now i never dealed with DIY PC audio.
I am a big fan to high-end audio.And owned electronic components from Pass labs.Krell,Audio Reseach,dCS,Arsthetics,Wadia etc.
Which microsystem should i choose between micro-ultraRendu or USBridge.
I appreciate all value advices.

Consider the Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra as well as those other options. I got one recently.

USBridge requires some DIY skills. microRendu, SoTM, Project, Volumio, Auralic Aries, etc are pretty much plug and play. I use a microRendu in my headphone setup and it works great.

Thank you Miguel

One “last” thing on this topic from me for @miguelito:

I am assuming since you have the Rossini, it is connected to the network via ethernet? I.e., Plugged directly into the router and no separate device between Rossini and the network connection?

(And just confirming: there is more measurable noise over a USB line than ethernet, hence the logic/benefit of running through a streamer (USBridge, micro/ultraRendu or other) before plugging into a USB DAC?)

Thank you again,
Richard

Essentially yes. More specifically, my mac mini is connected to the network switch via a Thunderbolt-Ethernet adapter, the Rossini is connected to the mini’s Ethernet port, and the two Ethernet interfaces are bridged together. The connection from the Rossini to the mini’s Ethernet port has a SoTM Isocat filter.

Does this connection make a difference compared to connecting the Rossini to the Ethernet port of the switch? Probably not one bit - I just did it this way because I then have only one cable from the switch to the main rig. And as for the SoTM isocat filter, does it make a difference? Probably not at all, just had the filter so why not?

I did not measure the noise. This is sort of what the justifications are. I do not hear any difference between the USB interface connected to the mini - with or without a USB reclocker - and the ethernet connection.

And most importantly: I’ve stopped futzing around with this stuff. I tested it once, didn’t hear a difference, and DO NOT stress about it.

PS: My mac mini has a linear power supply and a special board inside to remove fan’s electrical noise, so your results might be different. When I say “USB is more noisy”, this is general comments NOT derived from my own measurements. Like I said above, I tried the Rossini both over USB and Ethernet and did not find a difference. But as I also stressed rather abruptly, I do not care to tinker around with this either.

1 Like

We are on the same page.

I am a little proud (I guess most would say embarrassed) that I haven’t changed my source, amp or speakers in 10 years.

My activity on this channel has been motivated by (a) the need move in NYC; and (b) the realization that my entire CD collection–stacks and stacks of disks–now can be stored lossless on a thumb drive! (Or one SSD)

I think it’s time to for me to finally move to digital and since the Puccini U-Clock accepts USB, I may as well give it a try.

I appreciate everyone’s valuable insights, especially @miguelito, @Albert_Jochems and @Tuncer_Yilmaz

Thank you,
Richard

3 Likes

Where in NYC? I’m in Chelsea.

Responded via direct message.
Thanks for asking!

Maybe you allow me to add one more option to the list of Roon endpoints: dCS’s own Network Bridge.

I completely forgot about that one but it brings a couple of benefits:

• it basically brings your network interface up to the same level as the Rossini. Including the seamless integration of Roon and dCS’s own audio streaming options
  • the Network Bridge accepts Wordclock input and will benefit from your U Clock

You will not use the USB input of the U Clock in such a setup and it is not the cheapest option out there. I’ve only seen it working in a shop and never compared it in my own system. Knowing dCS stuf for several years now I expect this to be one of the best sounding options.

Surely. I actually did not recommend this due to price, but come to think of it, feeding a dCS DAC this will be the best sounding option for sure. When feeding other DACs, keep in mind the only output on this device is SPDIF (in it’s variant forms…).

@Albert_Jochems and @miguelito

Thank you both.
In your opinion is the Nucleus+ USB output clean enough to run directly to the U clock?

If so why not Nucleus+ + internal SSD > U-Clock > Puccini?