Pushing software changes

If you look back to Apple and Microsoft, Apple was the clear winner for bug free software. It was done by controlling the hardware platform and holding releases back. Microsoft on the hand runs so many hardware platforms and basically admits to letting their user base debug the software. In the end Microsoft’s model was far more profitable and when Steve Jobs was out of the picture Apple changed their tune. In our country it all comes to profit for the stockholder in the end.

1 Like

Couldn’t have said it any better.

Agree, too many software updates.

I think many that have had ongoing problems would disagree. It would appear that’s Roon’s build update policy has changed recently with the attention given to bugs & operational issues over shorter timescales.
As with any software update there is always a potential bug problem irrespective of the amount of pre-release testing. There have obviously been major problems for some users recently but rapid release cycle allows those problems to be addressed relatively quickly.

2 Likes

it worked in the start but after a software update i cant say i have heard no more than 4-5 song before it stops working, andt that is the good thing, it stops all the time… i upgrades my network for Roon to Unifi UDM pro se, wifi 6 long range from airport extremes… all that money and i still cant listen to a full album… bummer…

1 Like

I believe Roon advise against using Apple Airport Extreme due to operating issues, a quick search will produce the related information.

I do agree Roon is good about trying to make their platform work in everyone’s environment. However at some point they will need to accept they can’t support all the odd combinations. Also you have to realize this is a very network intensive application not so much bandwidth but latency can play hell. I am actually surprised it works as well as it does on my system. My router shows 42 devices connected to it 3 are streaming cameras with 6 Roon endpoints. It is difficult to assist in resolving network issues, it might be helpful if they had a application that would test a network to see if it will support Roon traffic.
Bill

Speaking for myself not Roon, I run an all Apple Airport network in my house (1x Airport Extreme and 3x Airport Express – latest/last versions of everything) and it’s very solid and solid with Roon. Two are wired and two are wireless extenders.

It is possible that later firmware updates resolved issues which led to the original advice, but that is just speculation.

1 Like

I Totally agree, trying to support an infinite number of hardware/software combinations must be an absolute nightmare and is unsustainable.

That is why i replaced them with unifi.

1 Like

You only hear what you want to hear.

“Sure, I’ll have another beer.”

1 Like

We always considered our users to be our beta testers.

As a fellow IT professional (30+ years), I find it a little humorous that a reboot wasn’t one of the first things that you would have tried. Sometimes the simple solutions elude us.

It was but apparently it needed to be rebooted twice.

I wish Roon would push me a fix for my Dell locking up.