QNAP Folder Structure Issues

Hello Christopher,
I believe I have followed your excellent instructions and the two attached images illustrate the result. I think I need to rearrange the folders at least and possibly more.

You will see a folder containing music plus the others you proposed. So far no music plays and the music folder is not visible in Roon on my iPad controller. Can you suggest what further I should do. I have not re-installed Roon or down loaded an update.
Many thanks,

Geoff

Hi @Geoff,

From what I understand when looking at your posted images, it seems you have copied the content of a Roon Server Backup folder into your music shared folder.

For comparison, this is how the folder structure of a Roon’s Backup files look like (pretty much like the folderstructure you’ve copied to your new Music shared folder):

So, If this is the case, that you’ve copied the content of a database backup to your Music shared folder, there will be no music files in Roon, as Roon Server backups do not contain any media files (as described in the backup section of Roon):

So I am wondering, do you know, where your media files are stored?

Hello Christopher,
Thanks for the reply. Before starting this exercise I made local and cloud backups of, I believe, everything. I will check out what is where and get back to you in a couple of days.

Thanks again,

Geoff

Thanks @crieke for helping out with your invaluable expertise!

1 Like

Hello Christopher, Here are two views of the folders I have created. You will see the music folder contains music. Thanks to you we have considerable success. I still have to get Roon Radio to work but expect this to be OK.

I have to recover a considerable amount of music from CD. I have a simple CD ripper but want something faster/ automated mostly to deal with FLAC files. What CD ripper would you recommend. I like the idea of the Brennan where there is internal storage but I do not want anything with an audio amplifier in built.

Last time I tried to buy you a coffee PayPal did not work!! Is it now fixed.

Many thanks,

Geoff

Great! I have one comment after viewing your screenshot (the one that showed your music folder):
I am unsure, if you’ve just copied some music files to the root path of the shared music folder for the purpose of testing.
I’d strongly recommend to use a folder structure to sort your music files in subfolders. This also helps Roon to identify your albums.
Quite common is a folder structure like

<< Artist Name >> / << CD Title >> / 1-01 Track Title.flac

For example
The Beatles/Abbey Road/1-07 Here Comes the Sun.flac
(The first number 1 in the filename corresponds to the disc number, the following two digits 07 represent the track number.)

When you start ripping, make sure, your folder structure and filename is set up in the preferences of you ripper, otherwise you might have a lot of work fixing it afterwards.

You asked for a recommendation. Since I am Mac user, I can only give a recommendation for the Mac. I use XLD (website).

There are topics about good ripping software available here in the community board. For example this one.

UPDATE: I forgot to mention, you should also enable Roon Backups in the Roon settings and select your new “RoonServer-Backups” shared folder as the target folder. :wink:

Hello Christopher,
Many thanks again for your comments. Yes, I just added a rough selection of music to the music folder to illustrate to you that it is there. It does produce music but there is clearly work to do. This will be deleted shortly and replaced with my library of music.

I have one concern before I proceed; you will see I have added a picture of my backups folder (obtained by backing up from the shot you previously saw).

Does this look correct to you? because it does not look good to me!!! I was expecting more or less a duplicate of the music I had added. I used the backup function within Roon settings to point to the backup folder I had created.

I am very happy with the recommendation for a folder structure to sort my music files into subfolders and have done this previously with Sooloos. What specific features (tags or structure) should I add to the folder artwork and discography/descriptive folders?

I plan to use dBPowerAmp along with a simple plug in DVD drive that I have previously used. I have visited your recommended reading for CD rippers and can see no point in buying one.

I very much hope you are surviving the flooding problems in Germany. Here it is too hot and my gardening has been postponed.

Best wishes,

Geoff

Hello Christopher,
Thanks again for your detailed recommendations. I have replied previously along with:

1. A question regarding what is going on in my backup folder and
  2. A brief question regarding adding artwork image files.

I have not received a reply and we now have been without our favourite music for around a month. Please will you let me know if there is some sort of problem.

All the best,

Geoff Owens 2021-08-08T23:00:00Z

Hi Geoff,
sorry for not replying yet.

To be honest, this folder structure look totally fine to me. Roon’s Backup files are not meant for browsing. They also DO NOT contain backups of your music files (see Roon’s knowledge base article for further info). The first part on that page explains pretty good what Roon backups contain:

Your Roon database is full of information about the music you love. In addition to your library’s metadata, it also contains any edits you’ve made, your play history, all of your Roon playlists, your favorites, your settings, and more. All of this information is stored in your Roon Database.

I can only tell you what I use on my system. I only sort Albums according to the folder structure, that I have proposed in my earlier post.

[Artist] / [Album] / [1-01 Tracktitle]
(where the “1-01” reflects the Disc and track number)

That’s all I do. Roon has no issues identifying the album and displays the correct metadata.