Qobuz 192kHz files not playing correctly via Roon

Including details of your core, network, storage location of your media files, and any messages displayed by Roon helps resolve your issues faster. Moreover, without your public address, this information benefits no one except those trying to assist.

Cable modem → router → Roon Core → router → network switch → Roon endpoint

Is this correct? This implies that your core is sitting in a separate subnet.

2 Likes

You asked for the signal path and the Qobuz signal comes into the cable modem and then to the router then to the Roon core which then sends the signal back to the router (in other words to and from the Roon core and router) and then from the router to the network switch and then to the Roon endpoints. I fully understand that network communication is two way with the Roon core and router managing the network traffic. Sorry for the confusion.

1 Like

@Jazzfan_NJ do you get the same issues with 192/24 Qobuz streams if you play to the system output of your Roon core machine? So eliminating the other network hops from the equation this will at least test if the core part is working as it should.

Gave your suggestion a try and experienced similar issues with playback of Qobuz 192kHz files. Same old same old

Then perhaps issue is either your isp routing you to a not so near cdn or something on the core machine is causing it.

Are you using your isps DNS servers or do you have your router set to use something else, by default it will be your ISP. Sometimes changing this can fix being routed to a closer CDN.

What does Roons signal path show when your playing there is the processing speed good? Perhaps try changing the cable from router direst to pc temporarily to rule that out this bypass any additional switches.

Do you have any other pcs you could try Roon on to see if this has any affect?

My Roon Core is directly connected to the router with no switches in between and has always been connected that way. The router is set to automatically use the best DNS server. Funny I can stream 4K video (15-25 Mbps) going through multiple network switches but not 192kHz audio, with or without going through network switches, which uses around 10Mbps. No I don’t think that the issue is with my ips, modem or router. And using the Qobuz desktop app on the same computer as my Roon Core I can also stream 192kHz from Qobuz without any playback issues and the playback is gapless.

Why is it so hard to fathom that, OMG, the problem lies with Roon? By the way I am not the only user experiencing issues with playback of Qobuz via Roon.

1 Like

Different DNS resolvers can route you via very different paths also Qobuz apps streams are via a different path to Roons as it uses the api stream url Which is used by 3rd parties. If you can just try setting dns to use 1.1.1.1 and see if anything changes it has sorted issues out for others. Just because video works doesn’t rule out your isp. I often get bandwidth issues with Amazon Prime yet Netflix , Disney and my Local Plex all work just fine.

I am Just trying to help as for your question I can stream from qobuz at any res no issues at all to any endpoint wired or wireless, Roon bridges, Roon Ready or Chromecast.

I’m sorry and I do thank you for your help but if getting Roon/Qobuz to work properly requires that I become an IT professional then I will just go back to playing CDs.

Well it doesn’t require it and apparently your experience is a bit of an outlier that is more comparable to the CD player developing seemingly random faults. Got to figure it out somehow

1 Like

Plug everything into the Netgear Switch and plug the Netgear Switch into the Router.

Switches in consumer “routers” are generally garbage. Additionally, the low latency / low jitter critical path is Core to Endpoint so you really want to reduce hops of that leg of the signal where you can. I assume you have wifi turned off on the Core?

Hi @Jazzfan_NJ,

Thank you for your patience in awaiting a response. I’ve read through your thread here and all of the responses finally :slight_smile:

In looking at diagnostic logging I typically look for keywords like “error” or “failed”. In my search, ALL references to these words revolve around network errors.

Suggestions:

Set DNS to Google’s servers. 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
Log out of Qobuz under Roon>Settings>Services
Log out of Roon under Roon>Settings>General
Restart your network Modem>router>any switches>endpoints>Roon core PC.

Once done, log back into Roon and Qobuz.

If you’re still having issues, please note the date/time/track played and supply that information here. I will be able to look at diagnostics and see what Roon thinks is happening. I will also use that information to try and duplicate your problem and if able to duplicate; escalate the issue accordingly.

Kindest regards,
Wes

1 Like

I changed the DNS servers as directed using my router’s setup utility, which is much easier than going through Windows Control Panel, and so far so good, in other words 192kHz files from Qobuz are now playing correctly and are back to being gapless. I don’t understand why but that’s why you are an IT professional and I’m not :grin:

If I encounter any problems I will follow your other suggestions in the order you suggest and see if that resolves the problem.

Thank you for your help. Have a safe and Happy New Year!!

3 Likes

You are most welcome. A happy new year to you and yours as well.

Wes

1 Like

Thought I would mention that, as @Wes noted when he made the recommendation above, 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 are DNS servers operated by Google.

Some folks have concerns about Google and privacy. The issue is that any time you navigate anywhere or access any service, your DNS provider is going to know that a request to resolve an address came from your IP address. I’ll leave it to you to decide whether or not you think this is an issue and whether or not you want to read Google and/or Cloudflare’s privacy policies (and whether or not you take them at face value :slight_smile: )

@Simon_Arnold3 suggested you try 1.1.1.1. That’s a free DNS server operated by Cloudflare. It is also very fast and does the correct thing with respect to regionality. If you want to try Cloudflare, you can use 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 as your DNS servers.

I hope this is a permanent solution to your issue - without getting into the details, there is a legitimate theory about what could be going wrong and moving to one of these DNS servers could address it.

2 Likes

To all of you who stepped in to offer possible solutions I can only offer you my most sincere thanks and humble apology for being so cantankerous. Obviously my knowledge and understanding of network and internet protocols leave much to be desired. I can also say that changing the DNS server to the Google server has, for the moment, resolved the issue. I may try the Cloudflare servers in the future but at the moment I’m one happy camper. Thanks again for all your help and, more importantly, for your patience in dealing with this stubborn old bastard. Hope that you and yours all enjoy a safe and Happy New Year!

9 Likes

Well done for trying the change. It really shouldn’t but in reality it does as not alll dns servers are
Equal and isp ones are definitely weaker than they should be. Enjoy if it now works don’t change it no need to.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.