Qobuz catalog very limited for Alternative / Independent / Punk / Hardcore

IF, and this is IF only, Qobuz really had a limited catalog when they first launched the US Beta, this seems like quite the mistake. The natural expectation is that when someone subscribes they are going to immediately test the depth of their library and check any library conversion from Tidal to see how complete that is. Making a smaller service available and asking people to check again, later, after the port over more of their library, is a bad product strategy, IMHO.

As said - I’m in Germany and am missing about 25-30% of my Punkrock orientated music from Streetpunk/Oi over Ska to more regular stuff… also on alternative music missing about 25%… only mainstream stuff is on paar…

1 Like

Been using roon radio with qobuz for a couple of months and noticed that it gets in a rut with the same handful of artists and albums over and over.

Switched back to Tidal today and I’m already seeing more variety. Maybe just in a different rut, but we’ll see in a couple of weeks.

This is mostly with contemporary jazz/fusion, occasionally some album/soft rock.

1 Like

Has anyone tried going from Qobuz to Tidal to see the success rate? I found a fair few albums on Qobuz (adding old vinyl albums I own) which weren’t on Tidal. Remember, getting for example an 85% rate from Tidal to Qobuz does not mean that Qobuz only has 85% of the content. It may just mean it has different content…
Having said that, was disappointedly surprised to see no Big Thief on Qobuz. I love that album Capacity…!

the way layout for tidal vs qobuz and curation etc ease of use is 10x better for tidal over qobuz. so much so that even though qobuz has full hi res availability vs mqa of tidal i have no desire
to use qobuz with its current roon implantation. the aforementioned factors are impossible to ignore and take the fun out of the service for me as so far as discovering new music etc that is so easy with tidal with the layout and curation/implantation.

you are not in a rut qobuz and roon layout is super boring vs tidal. i wanted it to be comparable but it’s not.

Quite frustrated with the limited range of Qobuz. Especially jazz. Haven’t noticed an advantage in quality either. Nice to ‘know’ it’s fully high-res but getting v.hard to justify if you can’t hear the difference.

Just ended my membership with Qobuz. Limited range of my kind of ‘alternative’ / singer- songwriters.
I’ll rejoin it in half a year or so to check again.

About catalogue quality:

1. Spotify
  2. Tidal
  3. Qobuz

Spotify is no option for me anymore because of sound quality. (I used it for a long periode before Roon). So I’ll stick with Tidal for the time being…

It’s a shame that he US ‘Beta’ seems to be so limited. I would like to believe that coverage will eventually be as good as other places. My Qobuz account is a U.K. account, and coverage in Alt/Folk/Indie is orders of magnitude better than in the US service. Same goes for classical and Jazz. It’s a bit more expensive, but worth it to me.

I’m not sure if there’s still a difference between the European and US version of Qobuz’ database.
Anyhow, I live in Europe and I think even here is a big difference in library between Qobuz and Tidal. In my case 23% of my favorite Tidal albums and content of Tidal playlist is not available in Qobuz. Mainly alternative, post-rock, singer- songwriters etc.

I sure hope the Qobuz library in the US is limited compared to what is available outside of the beta. Otherwise it’s pretty limited, period. That said, Qobuz has a few albums that Tidal doesn’t have, and some of those are key titles. That said, the one I have in mind specifically is a new release, and maybe it just isn’t in Tidal yet.

1 Like

Limitation has nothing to do with the US, but only with Q generally having a limited catalog in certain genres. As said - I’m in Germany and it’s missing tons of music.

What I find extremely odd is that in my musical preferences it’s even missing French acts (as stated above).

But hey - what’s to complain about, there’s still Tidal and that’s just fine by me… :v::blush:

1 Like

I might be getting to the point of stopping Qobuz for a while. Was willing to keep both services running at same time for a month or two but don’t see any real progress in Qobuz filling in the US library. Think might be best to check back in 6 months or so.

I give Qobuz credit for having the new Hands Off Gretel album available faster than Tidal. Although that was probably some sort of error since it hadn’t been released here yet :slight_smile:

I realized that some albums I had in my library disappeared the last weeks. Can’t buy them either. (Germany)

Best streaming service. But it needs more #metal!

1 Like

I am noticing gaps in classic rock like Nazareth vs Tidal as well.

I am also finding that many hi Rez releases are modern loud masters so despite resolution improvements older CD pressings from my library are preferred. There are some exceptions like Tom Petty

We’re living in the ‘loudness-era’ :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

When I look at Q and the way it’s presented I can‘t help but feel that it‘s actually targeting a different clientelle. More like high class and polished and not so much looking at subcultures… I may be wrong but it‘s the Impression I get…

2 Likes

After a month I returned to Tidal for all the reasons mentioned, just too many albums/artists missing. I’ll keep the hi-res Qobuz subscription as i’ll like this option, just a shame so many artists are missing. Never thought that i would return to Tidal…

1 Like

I guess to a degree this stuff is self selecting - if you have created a playlist in Tidal by definition 100% of those tracks are in Tidal.

I had the same thing swapping from Spotify to Tidal - seemed like some pretty obvious albums were missing. Some have appeared over time, some are still missing and of course no doubt if i swapped back to Spotify I’d find some of the Tidal albums I’ve added aren’t on Spotify.

I had a quick look at Qobuz but had no reason to swap - when I did a Soundiiz check it came up with a 100% match but something had gone wrong and it was all garbage!