Qobuz not streaming once again.... This is getting old

The reasons are not really unknown, especially if you have already read this thread…

I just experienced a new type of failure trying to play Qobuz. A track starts, then after a few seconds it stops and Roon throws an error saying something like “Playback is taking longer than usual” and to check my network. But my network was fine. Sigh.

Your network is fine for other services maybe but at that time it may have been insufficient for Roon.
Thats really what that error is telling you.

Hi Paul - as @AceRimmer has indicated, Roon makes a much greater demand on your network than does then native Qobuz app. In order for others to help, it might be worth starting a new thread in Support. Don’t forget to provide details of your set up, including network.

1 Like

I would start with the proven reboot all devices, it sounds again as already reported in the forum as solved. If here also only temporarily something is stuck it will work again with the restart re-oiled (executed). If not we look for other causes…

How does Roon make a much greater demand on your network than the native Qobuz app? Both have to get a file from somewhere outside your network and pass it as recquired to your DAC. If you’re not doing DSP or serving multiple zones, what significant difference is there in what the respective products have to do? Why does a similar issue not get reported with Tidal?

Qobuz itself buffers many minutes ahead - I’ve just watched it fill its own cache with a 20 minute track in under a minute on my iPad. Maybe Roon doesn’t have such a big buffer.

1 Like

Roon decodes at the core and pushes uncompressed pcm over your network. So it often incurs a greater network load than apps that push a compressed flac or mp3 file over your network to the endpoint.

1 Like

People have reported issues with Tidal as well.

On the general matter, Roon is not simply streaming (at least not in the way that the native Qobuz app is). My technical knowledge is rather limited and I’m sure that others can comment further.

This article from the Knowledge Base is quite useful.

Just because a network set up works for streaming doesn’t mean that it will work with Roon. That’s why Support requests need to be accompanied by network details, amongst other things.

1 Like

If Roon were to transfer only a .flac, it would no longer be an object-based database that still derives the correct connections and links from millions of tracks. There is more to do in the factor 10 and the astreine transfer is not trimmed on compression / speed, but very highest quality.

Who does not need all this, has so many alternatives today and I also belonged to the faction “I do not need”.

Baby Roon will only grow up through AI (smart engineers) and needs a loving community (family) that loves it. However, no one needs to take on fatherhood alone. Those who want to, pay voluntarily once or regularly (would be better).

Given all sorts of issues, and this on a constant basis, Roon is no longer a premium service for me. I don’t know exactly what happened, but I now experience regular iPad crashes, long to very long wait until Roon has finally decided to import an album from Qobuz into my library, a pretty much useless search function, less than complete integration with Qobuz (where can I search from within labels on Qobuz/Roon?), clunky UI, …

1 Like

use only programs that please. Apple waits with free annual offers, gives away Apple Music with every device, can Hi-Res via Airplay and much more in its own product range, which is perhaps? still to come…or is everything already there?

I don’t believe in it and I read problems everywhere, no matter if I look in the Microsoft world, in the Apple area or in open source software.

I can understand how Roon’s network requirements could be greater than that of direct streaming, but is it that much greater? Is it more demanding than streaming 4k video (which I’ve never had trouble with)?

Oddly enough I had no problems with it through the trial, which is why I became a paying subscriber. And I used it daily. Lately the problems have grown more frequent, and seeing others here – in this thread and others like it – with the same type of issues makes me think the problem might not be my network.

That’s not an excuse (for any of them). The poor state of the software industry today is in part because of an alarmingly common kind of customers. Now, we’re all served a lot of ■■■■■■ (more or less) software/services one way or another, and this will only stop when we’ll stop believing it taste like cake…

Psychology, astrology, religion may came more in handy to the ones still trying to understand how roon works and moves! :grinning: As they are now, things are beyond any technological good (or bad for that matter) sense…

1 Like

Today it is possible to do practically anything with open source software and anyone who can program it better should do it. However, sometimes there is a lack of insight on the customer side and not only on the supplier side, how satisfaction and knowledge could grow. Without effort it does not go also with me as a customer and I have committed myself to Roon until August 22, 2022 and help if I can, since I do not program myself, I could choose with my horizon and knowledge a software temporarily that I appreciate. However, the annual price only pays for a good hour of work by a software engineer.

I can understand why you might think that in your case scenario.
But I signed up for my second year of Roon Kool Aid a few months back for one reason only…

I just have not had an issue, although I only stream Qobuz, no Tidal.

I have a very simple network as well but it is ROCK SOLID with everything hard wired where possible and El cheapo unmanaged switches.
Saying that I do have three CCA units which only have WiFi capability and they have performed exceptionally well.
Think I may have had a couple dropouts over past 18months for a second or two.
Certainly nothing I ever would get bent out of shape over as they are on WiFi.

Not sure what to tell you.

I don’t work for Roon, don’t consider myself a “fanboy” lol.

It just plain darn works with minimal effort or interaction on my part.

2 Likes

What has this got to do with Apple? I’m talking about Roon, and yes I find that 120 $ a year is too steep a price to get a stream from the computer to my DAC. (I don’t use DSP). Especially when twice in a row my Qobuz albums have disappeared. That’s when I started looking for alternatives, and I must say that using a streaming service without Roon has proved a more fluid experience (whether it be Qobuz on its own, Idagio, Primephonic, Tidal, Amazon Music, Apple Music, Spotify, Deezer – I’ve taken out trial subscriptions for all of them).
My conclusion is that unless you have a large personal library, Roon isn’t worth it. And I stream exclusively (got rid of my CD collection).

No one should use something that seems too expensive and testing alternatives is always good, but experience shows that for all the weaknesses that any product will have, its strengths should not be overlooked. Who sees no strengths, should not start or stop.

Unfortunately this thread is not a Support thread. To understand whether or not your network might benefit (for the purposes of Roon usage) from some “tweaking” I really would suggest opening a new thread, as per my advice above. Roon staff don’t routinely monitor software threads, but they do monitor support threads. Having said that, support doesn’t tend to operate at a weekend.

1 Like

I have also noticed that a lot of Qobuz albums I added to my library are not there and I am having to re add them. Such a pain.