Qobuz play back problems - starting and stopping

I haven’t seen a post on this since August 2021, so unfortunately, I have to tee it up again. Played thru Roon, Qobuz files stop and start or don’t play at all. I’m getting “slow buffering” error messages that suggest it might be network connectivity. However, the three Apple TV computers on my network seem to be streaming fine. These issues cropped up after a couple of months in which it played flawlessly. Roon is running on a Grimm MU1 player, which is connected directly to the router. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks. David

1 Like

Is someone from Roon technical support going to address this?

I use both Tidal and Qobuz (until Tidal gets its act together with HiRes FLAC via Roon). I simply never have an issue with Tidal, but fairly frequent stalls and dropouts with Qobuz. I’m on a symmetrical 1Gb/s FTTH connection, BTW>

1 Like

Try rebooting everything including your modem, this fixed my issue when I ran into it recently.

2 Likes

Thanks Richard. How is Tidal in the classical and jazz departments? What I like about Qobuz is how extensive its selection is. – David

Great, thanks for the tip – I’ll give it a try.

I can’t speak about the classical department, but as far as jazz is concerned Qobuz’s selection is much more extensive than Tidal’s. There are still some gaps but mostly this is because the record label does not make their titles available for streaming. As is the case with John Zorn’s Tzadik label, the Hat Hut label and many Bandcamp releases.

I’d suggest to post in the Support category, and use the template provided. Tech support doesn’t monitor the Qobuz software forum.

Several post have suggested changing your DNS to 8.8.8.8 (Google) or 4.4.4.4 (Cloudflare) which seems to have a positive effect for some Qobuz users.

Additionally, try reducing the streaming quality from Qobuz in order to diagnose the problem.
Go to the Settings > Service and Edit for the Qobuz service. Reduce the quality and see if the problem remains. Keep reducing if needed. If playback is normal at some point, you can indeed conclude that the network is a bottleneck.

It seems pretty good on the Classical side, although Tidal has improved its offering greatly in the last couple of years. If I look at Roon, I appear to be listening to more classical from Qobuz these days, which suggests a better variety at decent resolution

Worth noting that VPN/antivirus may be a problem if Qobuz cuts out at start of track; I disabled VPN/antivirus and it problem solved (Lyngdorf 3400, Dali Epicon 6)

I’d like to add that troubleshooting is very important, as all networks and ISP’s have their quirks. Many of you recommended using Google DNS as a potential solution to this issue, and I thought, “What a great idea, I’ll give that a try.” I checked the DNS of my core, and it was already using 8.8.8.8…
¯_(ツ)_/¯
I set the DNS back to my ISP’s default, and the problems seem to have gone away. For now. I hope.
So, the exact opposite of conventional wisdom worked for me. I changed my ISP recently, and I’ve been using their router in place of my old one, so it just goes to show how many variables there can be while troubleshooting this type of issue. Be patient and wait for the eureka moment. It feels good.