Qobuz Price Reduction

I’m in Canada and had no problem to register with US account but when transfer to Paypal payment nothing happened. I guess they are able to see my Canadian Credit Card.
I am able to see my account in Roon and Qobuz catalogue but can’t play anything.
Any idea why?

With Qobuz, you can register without taking a ‘streaming’ plan.
This allows you to buy album downloads.
I suppose you can register worldwide, whereas the actual streaming services are only available in a limited number of countries.
Dirk

Someone upper did registration like me through US Vpn and paid with Canadian Paypal and have no problem streaming. Weird…

I just tried to do it from Canada and while a US account was created, payment through Canadian Paypal did not finalize. From Paypal page I was transferred to Qobuz page and it say “empty basket”

It worked fine for me (twice, actually, because I stopped my original sub and started it again when prices fell). Make sure you’re not still connected to a VPN server in the U.S. when you try to pay or it will try to direct you to PayPal U.S.

I did that with IPVanish but once clicked and choose Paypal payment, Paypal account page is open right away. It let me choose payment between bank account and credit card.I selected credit card, click pay and then transferred to Qobuz page with still no access to musing streaming. It look like Paypal is going through without warnings but also no payment notification from Paypal.

You can always try the reverse of what I told you, to see if it works. Try opening Qobuz in a VPN set to the U.S. then try to subscribe from your Qobuz account. If U.S. PayPal opens, enter your Canadian Paypal account login and password. It should then direct you to your Canadian account for payment. I have Paypal in a number of countries with different logins, so I know it will select whatever country matches your login ID.

Simply not working no matter what. While on vpn,Paypal it ask for code confirmation input send to my mobile number.But still stay on US Paypal after confirmation.
There is a strong link connection between Qobuz payment link and accessed payment to finalize the transaction.

Well, I’m puzzled. As you can see from messages above, people other than me have also been able to open paid U.S. accounts from other countries. My account is monthly, and my non-US PayPal continues to work for monthly payments. Perhaps something has changed in the last few days. The only other thing I can suggest is trying it from another computer, tablet or perhaps a phone.I hope you get it sorted out.

Only just seen this thread. Yesterday I cancelled my tidal account and signed up for the Qobuz Studio 24/192 deal. Cost £24.99. I wonder if they’ll bring the offer to the UK, and I - and others - can get a cheaper account?

Shame I lost a load of albums by dropping Tidal. Guess I’ll buy the CDs or vinyl to make up some of the shortfall.

If you scroll up a bit you’ll see a post with a message from Qobuz that the lower price will soon be available elsewhere. Hopefully you won’t have to wait long.

Worked for me from UK six days ago.

Re: the death of the album… Sheryl Crow has some “survivor bias” in remembering the music industry fondly like it worked for everyone… it didn’t. More and more artists have the ability to get their sound out by orders of magnitude. If fans want albums, they will ask for albums. Many fans had to buy albums and only listened to the one or two songs they liked, and only one or two songs were on radio.

So the market will follow and if there is demand for albums they will find a new path. Art evolves. And some art does not.

Just some thoughts…

6 Likes

Does it still work? Qobuz will eventually see that you access the music from a “more expensive” country and kill your subscription, with no way to enable it again.

Did that happen to you? Still fine for me. It would be a very bad business decision on their part.

I doubt they have the resources or desire to monitor the relationship between the country you signed up from and the country you stream to.

Unlikely the eventuality will ever come and if it does, create a new account.

However, one has to first rationalize/justify paying less than the price in country from a moral perspective.

2 Likes

[quote=“Larry_Post, post:202, topic:82950”]
a moral perspective.
Here are no moral(s) involved. This is a rational economic decision.
Our economic system counts on your rational behaviour.

We are each free to look at it however we wish. I did not mean to impose morals on anyone, just food for thought. However, I suspect Qobuz would disagree with your assessment.

There is also the issue of licensing of the music for one country vs. another.

1 Like

Really? Uh-oh…

Morals and ethics are important to some of use. If you circumvent the system to get a price reduction for which you do not qualify, that is a moral and ethical issue.

2 Likes