Qobuz sounds better than Qobuz on Roon

This has nothing to do with a proverbial Loudness control, which was a very 1970s receiver feature that fell out of favor long ago.

Instead, this refers to volume or gain level matching. The best way to measure is by voltage at the output of a preamp or DAC.

AJ

1 Like

The Radio Shack meter isnā€™t sensitive enough for this type of comparison. A volume difference of as little as 0.5 dB is known to affect listener perception.

donā€™t tell that to my Luxman L509X

5 Likes

Dear Edwards, Iā€™m quite fond in mixing and mastering. Believe me, loudness difference in small amounts IS usually perceived as better clarity and space by our brain. Plenty of documents and literature about it out there.

Then when loudness exceeds a certain level you actually perceive it as ā€œloudnessā€.

Anyway a test with a sound meter used in the same position, same piece of music would rule this option out (or in!). If you can.

g

Just to eliminate any doubt, purposely make Roon louder by 1-2db with the meter than Qobuz and compare again.

1 Like

roon The sound of the previous version is normal, but three versions have been upgraded recently, and the sound quality is getting worse and worse

I use Qobuz in Roon and natively, on the occasions I use Roon with no PEQ for particular IEMs, it sounds just as the Qobuz native app with the same dac in use, both sound incredible.
This is listening to what I consider to be the same, low to moderate volume in a quiet environment.

Roon sq has not changed here.

2 Likes

Most people say they canā€™t hear it, but the sound quality is the same, but the equipment is incomplete and lacks hifi sensitivity. However, most of the people I know can hear the difference in sound quality and donā€™t want to argue. I just hope that the Roon team can pay attention to version changes and the issue of declining sound quality, and I hope that the next version will be more normal

2 Likes

My equipment is complete and lacks nothing, nor does my hearing.
This is for you to prove, with measurable data, so Roon can address it. Otherwise youā€™re just complaining.
If you have the highly resolving system you appear to have and can hear these differences, itā€™s in your interests to put forward the evidence.
Of all the threads I see about alleged sq decline or comparisons with LMS etc, I see no evidence, just a yes it is no it isnā€™t argument.

5 Likes

Did you volume match? Are you sure the output was the same (not what it says was the output)?

Itā€™s impossible to comment on the comparison without absolute clarity on setup and matching sources.

If you compare the bitstream arriving at the DAC, you can do bit tests with RME devices, and they are identical and the bit tests are recognised.

In this case it is up to you to do the troubleshooting, why an identical bitstream sounds different.

Please come up with some evidence. It is so simple to say, this sounds better than that and asking for improvement.

1 Like

You either use broken or incompetently designed equipment, that picks up EMI and amplifies that for you to hear and/or have incompetently set it up to be susceptible to such.

Youā€™d know that Roon havenā€™t touched their RAAT code in ages, which is responsible for audio data transfer, if youā€™d have had attentively followed their release notes, so nothing for them to remedyā€¦

:person_facepalming:

4 Likes

Hi, Ken.
For Roon test: Connect your NUC via LAN-cable (I guess thats what you do?), use your Ayre QX5 as DAC only and with USB between the NUC and the Ayre, Then from the DAC analog output put some expensive RCA plugs (you can afford it) into the Audio Research . Bluetooth is always (nearly always) lossy, WiFI is always in the air, dont trust it. The thing is to cable that last point between your DAC and the endpoint (Audio Research) and not use Airplay Mconnect or whatever is available.
When you want to test your Qobus sound only disconnect the NUC and use your Ayre for a streamer and then send it the same way.
Good luck.

Mconnect is purely a UPnP controller it just passes a url to the streamer which then pulls the stream via its network connection. It operates no differently to other UPnP application.

1 Like

I have searched quite extensively to confirm this but cannot find any proof. What makes me think it retransmits the stream are 1) when powered off the stream stops and 2) when handling mqa it did the first unfold which meant it handled the stream. All other controllers I have found can be turned off once they give the destination to the server. Roon also is a retransmitter of the stream.

Nope itā€™s UPnP controller they all stop the music when app closes as the playlist and URLs are maintained on the device. All it does is turn the Qobuz stream to a UPnP compatible URL with the security token added, send this to device so itā€™s able to connect and pull it directly. No UPnP controllers handle the streams they are a negotiator in the middle.

Itā€™s never done MQA decoding in the app but has been able to access them and pass them through to devices. Converse digital who make it also produce oem streaming boards that do full MQA decoding. Itā€™s why itā€™s the app bundled with some devices.

1 Like

Thanks for the info. I was sure the early mqa versions of mconnect did the first unfold but it was probably ā€œold timersā€ at work. Does MPD and itā€™s controller ex: Rigelian, handle the url and playlist on the player as they can be disconnected? Am I correct that roon retransmits the streams for music services? Thanks.

MPD is just software based UPnP rendeer for Linux. it has no controller app, you use what ever UPnP controller app you like. It may support OpenHome which is an offshoot of UPnP (Linn use it) that allows for playlists to be managed off server and are stored on the endpoint or server sofware so you can close them and they continue. But this depends on the controller used and renderer. MPD have a UPnP server app upmpdcli which is a UPnP server.

Everything vis Roon is sent from your Roon server to the endpoint its a push system, The apps are just a remote controll to do this. UPnP is more a pull system where the renderer is told via the app to pull the stream from the URL its given local or external.

1 Like

Thanks for this, it clears streaming up for me!

Hereā€™s my question- if the Ayre is a Roon endpoint and the new v2 Network module enhances data flow and reduces packet loss, why would I connect my NUC to the Ayre via USB or use UPnP. Makes zero sense.