Qobuz vs Tidal compared

I’ve been using Qobuz for almost a year now and one thing I’ll say for tidal, their support never told me to delete my library.

I recently got hit with the dreaded “albums not showing in roon” Qobuz bug. It happened 3 times before. The first two times, Roon leaned on Qobuz to make sure it got fixed (it’s apparently an issue on the Qobuz side). The second time took longer but eventually did resolve itself.

This time was different. Well over a week all of my albums were sapped from Roon. They were still in Qobuz but just refused to show up in Roon.

I contacted Qobuz support and after some initial steps, they spoke to their dev team and came back with:

Use soundiiz to reimport your library.

Using a premium third party tool to resolve a qobuz issue. Was pretty infuriating. I had to delete my entire library and reimport them. Losing a lot of edits, tags and other stuff in the process.

I never have these issues on Tidal and from my experience it’s much more stable.

The funny thing is, even if support hadn’t told me to wipe and reimport I would of had to do that anyway. Another really annoying issue with Qobuz is that if an album changes in anyway (genre gets updated, labels edit something) then the copy in your library gets flagged as unavailable. You have to find the new copy and add that.

There is nowhere in Roon that you can see this and if you are just shuffling a genre, your track list or anything like that it’ll just quietly skip to the next without you knowing.

Before the latest issue almost 25% of my library was like this, broken.

The long of short of it is Qobuz has excellent curation, some features I really like (cut library by genre as an example) but they have so many stability issues that when my subscription expires I’ll be looking at whatever the new integrations are with Roon. Or go back to Tidal.

3 Likes