Qobuz vs Tidal compared

Click the three dots to the far right of the song you want to add and choose “Add to playlist.” Just create a new playlist with a new name such as “Comparison” and have at it.

Ok thanks.

So far… I prefer Qobuz at Hi-Rez, but it’s a very small difference. At CD-quality(16bit 44.1) I prefer Tidal. Even the MQA files that are only max 16bit sound a tiny bit better then the Qobuz version.

I’ll have to keep testing it over the course of the next few weeks…. But with differences this close, it might be irrelevant.

1 Like

For me,the SQ is better on my system with Qobuz. Dunno why but it is. Although Tidal is a better implemented app and works better on my phone and especially on Carplay.

The biggest problem is that I really don’t get on with its music recommendations for Classical and trying to find something commonplace like a particular version of the Ring Cycle or even just a part of it like Das Rheingold Tidal is pretty non-existent. It seems to be completely unaware of how classical music works and thus is totally unsuitable and for that reason I ditched it.

I’m not just a blind hater of Tidal which is somehow an accusation that gets thrown at people who don’t like it, and I don’t want to add to this “hate”, but for me Qobuz is so much better suited to my music. It’s only a music streaming service so I’m not really invested a lot and if it gets adequate in future I might consider it. If they do change, just please don’t let them to another one of their launches :smiley:

3 Likes

After years with Tidal I’ve recently switched to Qobuz. I compared Tidal and Qobuz simultaneously for about a year. I found myself choosing Qobuz versions over Tidal’s MQA format. I cannot say it sounded ‘better’ or worse than Tidal… I simply preferred/chose the Qobuz streams more often than the Tidal streams… so I dropped Tidal yesterday.

4 Likes

I’ve been considering dropping Qobuz, for the opposite reason, but for the moment I have both.

that may change when “the new music service” arrives on Roon.

1 Like

I compared so many songs of different genres (non mqa) and to me the quality of both services sound exactly the same. No difference whatsoever.

4 Likes

One BIG difference I’ve noticed is downloading files for offline listening. I’ve already switched to Qobuz from Tidal for various reasons. I didn’t notice the Qobuz downloading issue during my trial period and I wish that I had. Qobuz is VERY SLOW when downloading large amounts of files for offline listening (they call it ‘Imports’, not to be confused with downloading purchased content). I am in the process of downloading large amounts of files for offline listening for traveling and listening in my car (spotty cell coverage where I live). It is taking multiple days and constant surveillance of the download process to get this done. Qobuz must be open AND my phone must be unlocked for downloads to progress. Any kind of network event seems to stop the process and downloading must be manually resumed. This happens often for me on Starlink. Download speeds are obviously and painfully throttled for large requests. I did not notice this when using Apple Music or Tidal. The wife has no patience to deal with this kind of stuff and is ■■■■■■. I am determined to stay with it and get the files I am paying for but I wished I had known this before I switched. It would have been a dealbreaker for me.

I would have a look at the app, unless it’s changed if you happen to log out of your account you will instantly loose all of those downloads.