Qua Continuum, Continuum One causes Roon Server to crash during Audio Analysis (see February 3, 2019 posts)

Hi @dylan, my friend @William_B_Schaefer_I tried this out today and he says that the new Roon still doesn’t ever finish analyzing the Qua Continuum Track. Did you guys test that?

Casey

Hi @Casey_Leedom,

We did test this behavior on our end and didn’t have issues with Analysis completing, do keep in mind that a large DSD file may take some time to finish analyzing.

Can you let me know if you are seeing the same thing as William on your end when you have a chance?

– Noris

Hi @Casey_Leedom,

I just wanted to check in here again with you, has the new build of Roon resolved the issue with this DSD track? Please let me know when you have a chance!

– Noris

Hi @Noris, I need to download the problematic Qua Continuum Track again. It’ll probably have to wait for this Sunday. I assume that you guys got a hold of a copy of that track and we’re able to reproduce the issue? Just out of curiosity, can you describe what the bug was? Im a Software Engineer myself …

Casey

Hi @Casey_Leedom,

Yes, we were able to get a copy of the track from Cookie and reproduced the issue. The dev team then looked into the matter and issues a change which has been confirmed as working by our QA dept.

I can’t personally provide a technical answer to this but I have put in a request for the dev team to see what they can comment on regarding the change. Once I hear back, I’ll be sure to let you know.

Do let me know how things are going on your end when you have a chance to take a look!

Thanks,
Noris

Hey Casey – thanks for your patience here!

So, during analysis we generate a waveform that’s shown in the footer. The code that generates that waveform was using a signed 32bit integer to track which sample in the file it was looking at, and because these files were DSD and very long, they contained more than 2^31 samples. That overflowed the 32bit integer, and we tried to write a negative offset into our waveform array.

Hope that helps, and thanks again Casey!

1 Like

Thanks @mike. So did you guys go for uint32_t or all the way to uint64_t “just to be sure”? :slight_smile:

And it is working for me. I no longer have crashes!

Casey

1 Like

Straight to 64bit, because there’s no real reason not to. There’s no good way to get enough confidence that we’ll never see a file bit enough to break uint32,

Yep, these crazy DSD folks are talking about going to DSD1024! [[ Personally, I don’t see any reason to go beyond 96kHz/24bit, but I have … er, “strange” friends …

Casey

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.