Question About Apple Mac Mini (late 2014) Roon Server

I have an Apple Mac Mini (late 2014) that I am adding a SSD literally on top of the HDD. I’m adding a Samsung 980 1TB NVMe SSD M.2 and making it the boot drive. This computer is a backup Roon server to my Nucleus, but also does duty to reboot the Nucleus and/or reconnect Tidal and Qobuz using Splashtop when I’m away from home.

So, my question…after installing the new SSD, can I simply drag the Roon app from one drive to the other or will I need to delete and reinstall Roon? I’m running Early Access Build 1354.

You can probably tell, I know next to nothing about Mac computers.

Thanks.

I have never tried multibooting with my Mac’s since I have never needed to.

But have a look here

Good luck.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ve already done the hard part. That was making a bootable install disk with Monterey.
It’s hard to find a MacOS version that you’re already using. Installing the SSD will be an easy 5 minute task. Had I opted to replace the HDD, that would have been a nightmare.

I hope I can simply slid some of my apps from one drive to the other. If not, I will need to reinstall Roon 2.0, Amphetamine, Splashtop, Google Chrome, Tidal, and Qobuz. Not a big deal.

I’m moving this to Tinkering. No need to bother Roon Support at this point.

Here’s what I think I will do. After getting the new SSD installed, I’ll do a clean install of Roon 2.0. If I’m able to restore a backup from the HDD, I’ll do that. Otherwise, it doesn’t really matter because I only have 47 local tracks and don’t need them on this Mac Mini backup server. I also don’t need any edits I have done.

Installed my new 1TB SSD with no issues. Seems to be working OK and very peppy.

1 Like

I have the exact same model Mac mini that you have. It’s rocking my Roon Server like a boss.

1 Like

How much ram do you have?

Me? 8 gb running on Linux Mint.

The Mac Mini (late 2014) has 8 GB soldered to the mother board. So, you can’t add RAM.

Correct. The 2012 model was the last one where RAM was up gradable.

I think mine is 4gb. I badly need to upgrade.

Yes, you need an upgrade.

If you have the cheapest version of the 2014 model. Then you’re stuck with 4 gb and a very slow CPU compared to the others. I have the middle model.

The internal 1 tb hard drive holds my music collection. While Linux is running from an USB connected SSD.

A great $70 upgrade, so much quicker. I now have a total of $270 in this Mac Mini computer.

Last night I used Apple Music for a couple hours with WIFI Airplay from this Mac Mini downstairs to my RPi4 in listening room upstairs. That’s a very easy way to to use Apple Music and the SQ is very good. If I want better, I have an iPad Mini 6 connected by 3.5mm cable I can use also.

1 Like

I recommend if you’re using a mid or highest version of Mac Mini (late 2014), you do this SSD upgrade.

1 Like

I agree although I’ve went with an external SSD.

1 Like

Now that my Mac Mini is much quicker, I installed the Audirvana 3.5 app. It’s playing from the Mac Mini over UPnP to my RPi4 running RoPieee, Meridian Prime, Denon, and Pioneer HMP-60 speakers. This would be an option if my internet went out. I would just need to switch the Mac Mini from ethernet to WIFI and use my Verizon cellular data to stream from Tidal or Qobuz.

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.