Question about KEF LS50

I’m pretty sure you will be able to negotiate on price. Most dealers (eg Peter Tyson) are pretty accommodating.

Ah yes see what you mean thanks.
Here is another explanation that expands on that a bit. Fairly important to understand I guess.

‘KEF’s warranty for its active and passive products differs greatly. Since the LS50 Wireless include both, its warranty does as well, covering all passive elements (the basics of the speakers, cabinets, etc), for a period of five years, and all active elements (assumingly the DAC, the amplifier, etc.) for a period of one year’

I’d start with wall mode. Desk mode attenuates the treble. I’d also want them a few inches higher to bring the tweeters up closer to ear level (not all the way though as the Kefs are designed to be listened off axis).

1 Like

Hi Scott,

thanks for that. Judging by the types of failure described, looks like it is the active rather than the passive bits that are going faulty, so not good news. Some manufacturers extend the warranty when they have unfortunately discovered manufacturing faults after the event (Apple have had to do this several times). If there was any sign of Kef doing this I might be interested in the ‘W’ rather than the passive version.

Yep fully understand
If I want something I’m not so good practicing self restraint. Hope I don’t live to regret it. Maybe if I’d been fully clued up about the warranty…

Seems to me if something active is going to give way its likely to occur within the first year and if after that I suppose I’d just have to pay.

Gotta say I’m really enjoying them in my kitchen. Upgraded from a bluesound pulse mini which is good for what it is but this is up a few levels on sound (as well as price obviously). They not in an optimal position being stood on top of a bookcase 7 feet up in the air. DSP sorts it all out and I think I’m at the point where the job is done and I’m not pining for something better. Previously I was relatively content but I want to be loving what I’m hearing all the time.

Don’t think i could do much better. Really terrific large room filling cinematic sound and they look great. By the way I’m using Roon via a SOTM SMS-200. Without this or another Roon Ready endpoint it would be impossible. As well documented the KEF app is truly awful even after being prepared I’ve been shocked by its various levels of poor quality control… Using the app - dropouts, super clunky UI it became clear within a few minutes. As and when Roon roll out support for them also problem sorted but I couldn’t live with the app for another minute as my main interface.

Soon as Roon up and running, (so far and it’s clearly early days) no issues and using Roon DSP to good effect too.

1 Like

The credenza is actually 28" inches high, so they’re higher up than they appear.

I’m using desk mode for now, which seems to provide the best over all balance, but still experimenting.

Desk mode is specifically for situations where there is a flat surface immediately in front of the speakers. That doesn’t really seem to be your situation. I’d definitely want to isolate them from the credenza which is why I suggested the isoacoustics stands. But there’s no rush. Sounds like you’re already enjoying them which is the main thing :+1:

I initially ran with desk mode as on a flat surface (near the edge). Big improvement as you say once turned off whilst still keeping wall mode activated. Sonically I’m really pleased with them.

What would be really sweet would be the ability to tune the KEF DSP and EQ controls via Roon as well as changing inputs etc. It is a pain to have to switch inputs to change something. Not going to happen I assume and I can see why.

Hopefully these are the sort of unnecessary issues KEF will soon address in the forthcoming updates.

1 Like

Once you’ve connected the Kef app to the speakers you can change the input on the Kef’s (e.g. to PC input) and play music via. Roon and simultaneously change speaker settings in the app.

For simplicity I have the Kef app open on my phone to make speaker setting changes and I have either my iPad or my laptop open with Roon Remote running to start/stop music.

1. Set KEF’s to wireless/ethernet input.
  2. Open KEF app on phone and find the speaker.
  3. Go into speaker settings on the KEF app.
  4. Change KEF input (using remote or pressing the touchpad on top of the right speaker) to PC input (I use USB).
  5. On my laptop Roon now see’s the KEF via. my microRendu Roon endpoint.
  6. Start playing music via. Roon Remote on my laptop.
  7. On my phone I change settings e.g. bass/treble attenuation, desk/wall mode, etc. and it changes settings on the KEF.

This definitely works as the changes are distinctly audible!

Worth trying out as it’ll help you get things set up.

@woodford I’m still looking at your credenza stand and thinking a pair of IsoAcoustic L8R-155s would really make those Kef’s sing. BTW, nice set up.

I have a pair of L8R’s for my KEF X300A’s. I can’t imagine getting a pair of LS50’s and using anything less! An essential purchase, or put them on floorstands.

Cheers Rik I will give this a try

Are you connecting over wireless or Ethernet for the kef app once you’ve got USB to Roon active? I thought I tried this over the wireless whilst using Roon via pc/ USB and no go.

My only available Ethernet in the vicinity is plugged into SOTM SMS-200.
I could of course set up a little switch if it comes to it.

I’m connecting via. ethernet. The possibility of not being able to do what I’ve suggested via. wireless never occurred to me. But now that I think about it, it does make sense that you aren’t having much success. So, it seems that the ethernet is permanently active irrespective of the input selected on the Kef… but the wireless isn’t and hence when you select a different input it kills the wireless.

When we get the Roon integration this may possibly become a moot point as Roon will require the ‘wireless/ethernet’ input to be selected and so you should be able to tinker with speaker settings whilst also streaming music from a Roon core to the Kef’s.

Perhaps worth holding off on purchasing a switch until the Roon update with Kef integration arrives?

All agreed
I’ll hold off any further moves until the Roon dev bit is ready. I may end up retaining the sotm streamer via USB in order to retain full raat functionality which by the looks of it will not be the case with the direct route.

Cheers

Im aware that we will lose the ability to use multiple KEF LS50Ws when using Roons bespoke solution. But, apart from that, what else do we lose? My main interest is in sound quality. I have not read anything that suggests the Roon bespoke solution will be in any way inferior SQ compared to use a RAAT endpoint into the Kefs. Guess we will wait and see.

Me too in terms of wanting the best quality sound. Got to be a slick interface as well because as i’ve learned the last few days it drives me up the wall trying to get on outside of Roon with a far inferior app.

I doubt SQ would be impacted via the non RAAT route noticeably especially given presumably Roon upsampling etc will be available just the same.

Danny’s comments from one of the other threads regarding KEF/ Roon integration and he lists some of the key advantages inherent to full RAAT implementation. You’ve probably seen it.
I do like the full signal path… Comment 4 is intriguing.

I just got these stands and yes, they make a difference. Thanks for pointing them out.