Question about Rock setup

I currently have the core installed in my windows 11 PC and play my music using a Sony receiver with 2 floor speakers. I have my music stored on one of the HD in the computer. If I installed the Rock software in NUC following the instructions from your website. I will set the core in the NUC this way be able to listening my music everywhere. But if I want to use my computer as I’m doing now. Do you think I will be able to switch the core from the NUC to the PC back and forth? Thank you for your assistance

Yes, before I had multiple Roon subscriptions, I switched back and forth frequently between Nucleus, Mac Mini, and Dell Windows 11 laptop. You simply authorize the core you want to use and in the process of doing that, unauthorize the other core.

EDIT: That said, if your NUC is connected by ethernet and your Windows 11 PC by ethernet or WIFI, you should be able to play music to any of your Roon endpoints with either core. The NUC will not add anything in this regard.

EDIT2: If you use a NUC as your Roon server (core), you can control it with a PC, phone, or tablet running the Roon app.

2 Likes

Stanley, it’s not clear why you want to switch the Core. If you just want to use your Windows 11 PC to play to the Sony and over the floor speakers, with the Core on the NUC, you can do that without any trouble. If you want to use the Windows 11 machine to run the user interface, you can do that, too, without switching the Core.

2 Likes

Thank you for your prompt reply. It is still kind of confusing to me, I’m new with Roon and all the different scenarios. My question probably is if the core is the NUC Can I use my computer to control the player ? Since right now I’m using my PC to do all that including my music storage in one drives in the computer. So using Rock in the NUC I will copy my music to the NUC drive this way I could listening everywhere even when not at home. But when I’m home I like to listening the music in my computer set up. Thank you :pray:

You want to choose 1 PC to be the main RoonServer. The other PCs will run Roon as a client connecting to the RoonServer. The clients will control what the server plays and to what endpoints.

The music files should be on a drive local to the RoonServer PC. And you don’t have to use ROCK on the NUC, you can set the NUC up with Windows.

1 Like

Yes.

Well… All the devices have to be on the same local network that the machine running the Server is on. So when not at home you’d need to use Roon ARC to listen to your music.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.