Question about server load and performance when the arc is not used

There is a question about the load and performance of the server when the ARC is not used. How much does an arc slow down PC performance? If it is not possible to use the ARC or it is not needed, is it possible to turn it off? It would be better to make an ARC switch in the ROON settings.
:thinking:

I strongly suspect that any effect on load on the server would be miniscule and any effect on performance would be unobservable.

You can already turn external access from ARC off by setting the port to 0 in Settings โ†’ ARC. I donโ€™t think that there is any need for anything more.

1 Like

All the same, it is more logical to disable the Arc if it is never used at all.

I donโ€™t know the architecture so I canโ€™t be sure but I strongly suspect that the benefit of doing so would be so close to zero as to be not worth worrying about - even when running Roon Server on resource limited platforms.

If that is the case, then complicating the product (and more specifically - product support) with an option switch for no gain would not be in anyoneโ€™s interest.

When you are not using ARC do you notice the impact of ARC? No. So what would a switch gain other than a UI complication.

1 Like

Arcs doing nothing if youโ€™re not using it or connected to it.

1 Like

@Vadim_Lvov

What would you hope to achieve with such a switch?

If it is an improvement in audio quality, you would only be disappointed. It would make no difference at all.

If is a reduction in load on the server, again you would be disappointed. It would make no difference to the processing load whatsoever and the difference in resource usage would be so tiny that it would be outweighed by the resources used to manage the option - so you actually make things worse rather than better by adding such a switch.

1 Like

Part of the Arc software server is constantly in standby mode. And this, of course, does not add stability to the program. And a switch in the settings that stops this process, of course, will not complicate anything, but will only simplify the serverโ€™s operation.
On most devices, in the settings you can enable or disable functionality that is not needed. Smart modes have never been stable and work correctly.

1 Like

It does not detract from the stability of the program either. When no device connects using ARC, then the ARC related functionality is not active so the presence or absense of an ARC connection is exactly the switch that you are asking for.

• One or more ARC connected โ†’ ARC ON
  • No ARC connected โ†’ ARC OFF

What more do you need?

Actually, I believe:

• It would not simplify the servers operation
  • It would complicate things
  • Such a switch would, at best, be neutral in terms of Roon server stability.

So again, what is the benefit? There is none. But there are costs. Software maintenance effort, testing effort and support effort would all incur costs within the relevant Roon teams to some degree and the increased UI complexity would likely incur a cost to users.

I can just imagine the support requests now:

USER: ARC is not working
ROON Support: Is ARC enabled in Roon ->Settings->ARC
USER: So sorry - I forgot that I had turned it off

It does not make sense to incur any kind of cost without a clear benefit and there is no benefit here.

With that, I have no more to add to this conversation.

1 Like

Punch in 0 for you port selection is the best option at this point. I have made the same suggestion to have an off switch that would completely eliminate ARC running. Personally I have had no use for ARC.

2 Likes

This idea that at least some amount of customization is detrimental to the user is getting really old. I remember when it took five or six clicks to delete a streaming album, because users might accidentally delete an album if itโ€™s only one click (thankfully weโ€™re down to two now, not counting the hamburger menu click). Well, then just add it back again! Good god, weโ€™ve all become prisoners of convenience with the inability to logically and pragmatically think for ourselves about anything.

1 Like