Questions on Metadata quality...not impressed at the moment at all

@brian : Many thanks to your great response to this.

I highly appreciate this.

This is not the point. No one, or for sure me not, is expecting that things happen overnight. I know you are putting a lot of effort into pushing Roon. You can read it here, you can see it in the app.

This is something I tried to explain to @magnuslsjoberg yesterday, it would be a pretty demanding task which can be broke down at least to the matrix code on discs for instance. But you are right, if you aren’t a serious collector but just collect for quantity or are no collector at all you won’t have these informations in your tags. I also don’t store any matrix /runout codes in my tags but I compare them to providers to get my exact match manually. What I store for instance is the release country, the label, the catalog number of the label, the barcode and the release date. This gets me pretty close and often is enough, for the rest I compare matrix codes. But I also admit this is really picky.

The problem here I see, as often mentioned now, is not Roon. I am sure you can get that. It is : Do your providers have the information about these releases…

At the moment I can see also problems with compilations by Mix-DJs like mentioned here by
@freelancr

I have also a lot of them where these problems, with big gaps in performers,… occur. There are really better sources out there but don’t know if considering such things is an option to you.

For me it would be not that bit problem to input that manually if it was possible, where I mean a certain release is groomed by you where the tracklist and all other things fit. So if then is just the release date, the label, a name extension (eg. 40th Anniversary edition) and country I would add that. It’s manual work again, but hey, it’s all in my tags already. Whereas name extension and album art are already possible.

So might it be possible to get a field release country (like the field Edit Version) in the album details, and a field catalog # maybe. These would be really great. Theses can really be plain text fields if you don’t want to use it for aquiring any rich data.

As I am developer myself I fully understand and respect this point.

This is of much more interest for me because my metadata is full, up to, or down to the barcode of nearly every release I have. I am really looking forward to what you will bring us there!!!

You achieved a lot already and hopefully this is going on. Better take the time you need before putting out something buggy. I would have only had concerns if you had told me come back and ask in 2 years :wink:

Thanks for getting back to me and letting me know of your thoughts on this.