QuietPC Configuration

These are really good specs. Something to consider, since you want to run more things than just Roon Core,

1. install Unraid + Docker and Roon Core as docker app. This would give you a chance to run other applications too.
  2. Install Ubuntu + Docker and Roon Core. Similar to Unraid setup, except Ubuntu is free

Appreciate the advice!! @PeterL

I am following up to share my experience ordering an Intel NUC and building my first ROON ROCK.

I received my QuietPC order from their UK operations. Fast shipment, great communication and customer service. Highly recommend.

As a reminder, the build I chose was:
UltraNUC Pro 7
* 7th Gen NUC Core i5-7300U, NUC7I5DNHE, M.2 and 2.5in Drive
* Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) 2400MHz DDR4 SODIMM Memory
* Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD (3500/3200)

The ROON ROCK build process was smooth. Reading and re-reading Roon knowledge base was essential and is recommended. I experienced two minor hiccups:
1. My initial keyboard wouldn’t work. I just grabbed a standard HP windows keyboard I had and it worked. Cheap keyboards ordered off of eBay (Almost all my keyboards!) don’t always work as expected.
2. I experienced what a few others have, not having a boot order choice during the BIOS updating process. Applying learnings from this thread in Roon Community solved this-> New NUC install--updating BIOS, no boot order choice

While I am have some technical savvy, when things go wrong, I typically can’t figure out next level problems. So if you are like me, I recommend doing all the research, seeking advice in advance, and consider buying a prebuilt Intel NUC machine from QuietPC - UK website.

All systems go and happy!! On to building some endpoints with RPi 4s.

Thanks to the group to include:
@Fernando_Pereira @Rugby @Strojo @CrystalGipsy @PeterL @Henry_McLeod @Ken_Edwards @olchon @paul_H

PS @PeterL I did investigate Unraid + Docker option, but I felt it was a bit beyond my technical ski tips. Maybe in the future!

2 Likes

If you ever decide to go Docker route, please watch this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISJczs06pD8

I highly recommend this channel.

Will do @PeterL I appreciate the advice.

1 Like