Quobuz or other streaming support coming?

It has been discussed many times in many threads fro a long time. Roon is fully aware of the benefits of adding other streaming services and has been trying to get more all along Indeed long time ago this topic drew one of the few responses on here from thier CEO. If they have gone this far with Pandora I’m pretty sure they will have done the same with the other streaming services and I’m sure they keep on doing this. The sticking point seems to be the deep integration that Roon requires which is not support d by the standard APIs other services have or previous exclusivity agreements that get in the way.

This is also relevant from Mike

And this from Danny

5 Likes

Thanks for the links to the history philr.

Reading through it, I wonder if the demands from Roon (and Roon users, though not all) are unrealistic. What incentive do these streaming services have to even allow (let alone actively work for) the “deep integration” that Roon is demanding? I could be wrong, but Roon could only offer a very small addition to their user base. I suspect that Pandora, Spotify, even Deezer and Quoboz look a the numbers and say “no thanks, we have bigger fish to fry”.

I suppose I am arguing that IF Roon is ever going to have another streaming service integration, the “deep integration” (which I fully admit is wonderful for the end user) demand is going to have to be dropped, barring any fundamental market change (e.g. Roon growing an order of magnitude at least in users).

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the links, @philr.

I’ve never doubted that for a second!!!

You got the answer @philr, Roon is going for deep integration and standard APIs doesn’t allow that. Think it another way, streaming service providers unlikely to give all their APIs; they also want to have their unique UI which give the differentiation. If deep integration is the utmost importance, then the chances of getting someone aboard is very bleak.

Besides, no many of us will always stick with just one service provider; given the choice who may provide better features, rates, etc, I guess people will jump ship eventually.

Seems to me, a solution would be for Roon to create their own streaming service. Just a thought.

Any news? Google Play and or Spotify would be good

I’ve been investigating IDAGIO , it seems very good for classical, it has deals with DG and Sony , that covers a lot

My problem is how to stream it to my hi fi, so far I can do it via iPad, Dragonfly etc but not to the main system

It sees my Cambridge Audio CXN but on Airplay , but it doesn’t seem too stable

Integration with Roon a la Tidal would be wonderful but I suspect a way away

Mike

It has been mentioned before…search…

Mentioned a couple of times but no hints how to wire it up …

Seems aimed at the mobile business bit of a shame really

Airplay and Chromecast seem to be the only options or wired to a desktop.

Anything on this?
Would really like to see all platforms being within Roon and internet radio, soundcloud etc. Even Sonos has this sort of stuff,
Yes high quality Tidal and Qobuz are good but it is for the music right? The more sources the better.
Even if you could somehow Chromecast to Roon/Roon endpoints. It is encouraging the Chromecast devices can work with Roon but the reverse would open up a lot more options

Roon is also selling the tight integration of metadata. It would take a lot of resources to extend that idea across a multiplicity of platforms.

It is a dangerous strategy to attempt to be all things to all people.

1 Like