RAAL-Requisite SR1a ear-phones

I think I have a solution to the complexity which cost significantly less than a second Chord stack.

The Chord Hugo TT 2 has a clever mode switch: the DAC and AMP modes you have to switch manually, but the third mode HEADPHONES switches automatically, when you plug headphones into the jack in front it automatically turns off the outputs on the back, both balanced and unbalanced. Ok, cheap receivers have done that since forever, but the Chord maintains separate memories for settings for each mode.

And from a sound quality perspective, all of these jacks and modes use the same electronics, there is no disadvantage to plug into the 1/4” jack instead of the rear.

So I got a short 1/4” to RCA cable and use that to drive the Jotunheim R. No risk of forgetting to adjust settings and frying the headphones, no futzing around with cables in the back. I set the volume of the headphone jack at 0 dB which is the same as line output, while the AMP mode is set to +10 to drive the Susvara.

Of course, if I plug in other cans with more normal requirements I have to adjust the volume, easily done.

Convenient and no risk of damage.