RAAT [was Roon Speakers] - What , When, How and for Whom?

Maybe sooner?

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/drop-outs-streaming-to-mu-so-fix-pending/7730/12?u=drtone

While I prefer a hard wired connection, the fact that the Raspberry Pi 3 has built in WiFi now makes it a more compelling option for multi-room without excess dongles.

@brian

Hi Brianā€¦

Earlier in this thread you said:

I read through that article, which I think, in a nutshell said: ā€œeven though the DAC chip may support it, the iPhone 6 doesnā€™t support hires output through the headphone jack, you need to use the lightning connector and an external DACā€

Question 1: So just to confirm from an iOS RoonSpeaker endpoint perspectiveā€¦ if we used an old iPhone 5 or 6 --> DAC via lightning we *would be able to get hires, since we are essentially bypassing the internal DAC?

Question 2: My understanding is that with the older iOS devices, with the older apple connector, most third party audio devices (docks, & what not) took audio from the L&R analog pin-outs from the apple connectorā€¦ but SOME, took the digital stream of data, again bypassing the internal apple DAC. If so, these same devices (usually external, apple capable DACs or Docks) would also still be able to (theorertically) output hires? Does this jive with your knowledge on the subject or am I off base?

Iā€™m thinking specifically about hooking up an old 3GS via apple/USB to my Marantz home theater in one room, an old 4S via digital dock on Peachtree iNova in another room and then using a RoonReady device in my main room to my main system.

I have two Bluesound2 devices which Iā€™m hoping will be firmware updated to RoonReady, but Iā€™m not against selling them for an Aries if necessary, since they are nowā€¦ politelyā€¦ underutilized.

You can follow this link to see how to play high-res from certain iPhones to an iFi Nano iDSD DAC. This link details the same thing for a Resonessence Herus DAC.

It looks like the oldest iPhone you can do this with is the iPhone 4.

Iā€™ve personally verified that the iFi Nano iDSD works in this situation, and I suspect this will work for many/most DACs that donā€™t require drivers with OS X. I canā€™t speak to how this fits in with the Roon ecosystem ā€” Iā€™ll leave that for the Roon team to address.

I do understand the choice of the term ā€œRoon Readyā€ but I donā€™t understand the choice for Roonspeakers" Itā€™s a silly and confusing name. Why not call it RAAT server and RAAT endpoint/client if thatā€™s what it is. This way anyone understands what it does.

The term RoonSpeakers was dropped a long time ago ā€¦ itā€™s now RAAT (Roon Advanced Audio Transport).

RoonReady is an integration / support of RAAT, by 3rd parties in their hardware.

Have read of the Roon Knowledge Base this should help with Roonā€™s architect and the partner program.

Hope that helps.

PS Iā€™ve updated the subject of this topic to reflect.

1 Like

The Roon Bridge program is the current name for what had been RoonSpeakers. Roon Ready and Roon Bridge serve the same function as RAAT clients or endpoints. Roon Ready is built into a device and can have extra bells and whistles, such as displays. Roon Bridge can be installed by a user on compatible devices.

I still like RAATCatcher, but @joel won the naming thread fair and square
ā€¦ shakes fist impotentlyā€¦

2 Likes

Ah, thanks. That does clarify things a lot. Was allready a bit confused about the term RoonSpeakers which showed up in so many posts.