RAAT [was Roon Speakers] - What , When, How and for Whom?

Can someone tell me what does roonspeakers mean?

The end of HiFi as you know it !

So it means Roon to speakers I didn’t understand that sorry.

It is a light-weight software package allowing Roon to send a music stream to the device running Roonspeakers

Thank you for your help.

Hopefully we must be getting close to a release of Roon Speakers now ? :smile:

@andybob defined “Roon Advanced Audio Transport (RAAT) is the underlying protocol. It will be implemented in software for various operating systems (iOS, Windows, Mac, Linux) and those apps/programs will be called RoonSpeakers. Where RAAT is implemented in firmware or hardware, the device will be RoonReady.”

A Roon Core computer is connected by Ethernet to a lightweight computer running the Roonspeaker software. This lightweight computer is then connected to your DAC by USB or other means.

Alternatively, when released, a RoonReady device is connected to the Core by Ethernet and could incorporate a number of the following functions:

• streamer or bridge
  • DAC
  • amplifier
  • loudspeakers

If you already own a computer audiophile system a streamer or bridge makes sense.

If you want to add another zone with lower sound quality and cost, an integrated RoonReady bridge/DAC/amp/loudspeaker “boombox” connected by wired or wireless Ethernet would work

If you want to keep it simple, connect the Roon Core to a DAC by USB

3 Likes

Here’s hoping there will be a RoonReady streamer device that supports Thunderbolt on a USB-C port. My FireWire DAC could then be supported using a USB-C to FireWire adaptor.

3 posts were split to a new topic: Signal chain quality is low when streaming DSD

Is Roon Speakers dead? In this post it seems that it would be released last fall but not yet. So, has there been any progress, or is it dead?

There’s life Jim, but not as we know it !

RoonSpeakers or, as it is more likely to be called, RoonBridge, had some extensive redesign of the audio stack, which contributed to the delay and kept it out of the pre-Chistmas release. It is due in Roon 1.2, the next major release.

No date has been fixed for release of 1.2 but the devs have noted that final testing has not yet commenced. The testing process for a major release can take about 21 days (working off a sample size of 1).

Have a search of Brian’s posts about RAAT if you would like to know more about (the app formerly known as) RoonSpeakers.

1 Like

While you wait, the Squeezebox addon seems to do the same when you install Squeezelite on your device.

Also anyone using HQP in Roon can stream to an NAA. There are threads in the HQP section about using Raspberry Pi, BeagleBone Black or CuBox-i as NAA.

A post was split to a new topic: Is there a turnkey solution for HQP NAA on Pi and Beaglebone?

…or a Sonicore SonicOrbiter SE, a commercially available (vs. DIY) NAA solution.

OK, it’s official, I’m getting boyishly excited about this now! :smile:

I’m even suffering my system without Room Correction right now, because ultimately I know I want everything in one neat package through Roon and RoonSpeakers.

I’ve got a Pi2, a ChromecastAudio, a Linear PS, and some cables, ready and waiting.

Now I just need………. :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

(some patience I suppose, before anyone else says it!)

With a recent note from brian about alpha testing coming up, looks like we’re still a good month away then (at least)…… stand-down overexcitement. check. :disappointed:

On the plus side, gives me more time to think about endpoints…… :wink:

1 Like

Yep, 1.1 took a little while extra to get out as well. Hopefully we will get a few more point releases before.

Yeah - I am getting pretty excited about 1.2 also… why can’t these guys go quicker! (kidding!) :slight_smile:

If 1.2 goes into alpha testing this week then it’s unlikely there will be any more bugfix releases before 1.2. I’ve never seen two builds being alpha tested at the same time.