Radio algorithm after full album play seems narrow

I’ve shifted this thread to Feature Request as that is what it boils down to and it isn’t a Support issue.

The devs are aware that Radio needs work. A thorough review of it has been deferred until after database and other work which may have affected Radio was completed. We might now be closer to that time. I’ll flag @mike to see if there is any news he can share.

While i love the radio feature and one thing that does bug me with it is that Radio seems to heavily favor the version of a track from compilation albums versus the original when both are present.

I would personally love to see a check for multiple versions of a song and prioritizes the original version if the album has a compilation tag.

Yeah an update on this would be nice (@mike). It has been one of those outstanding bug bears and now that DSP and ROCK are with us, it’s perhaps time to shore up some of those features that are not quite there yet.

.sjb

I agree. Radio seems to play mostly from best of’s rather than finding the best version. It will play a 16.44 version of a song from the compilation even though the 24.192 version is there.

Agreed that the Radio function is a weak link. An improved Radio will dramatically improve the Roon experience. Metadata is great and (good) Radio is great, but the two of them together will be like chocolate & peanut butter.

Radio introduces you to an artist that you don’t (or barely) know and then Roon’s metadata is there to tell you all about them and their connections. Over and over again.

This was the way I imagined using Roon before I subscribed and I’m looking forward to that becoming a reality.

2 Likes