Radio Ban Option

Perhaps I missed someone else mentioning it, but it seems like your use case can be relatively easily accommodated in Roon today.

You want to ban certain songs from playing outside the album context only. So mark them as banned. But, when you play an album, simply hit ctrl-A (select all) and then play, which will play all of the the songs, including the banned ones.

Problem solved?

1 Like

That’s not a solution. It’s a workaround that has flaws. First, my wife would not be able to deal with that. That, on its own, is a show stopper. But there is more: I often select multiple albums to play in the album view. I would no longer be able to do that. Also, I have albums with bonus tracks that I do not often play. This would not work well there. Finally, I have many albums with more than one disc and this idea does not work there either.

So, on the surface, your idea seems good but it fails in the real world.

The feature request is for a radio ban at a track level.

I’d rather Roon automatically ban tracks tagged with Christmas for 11 months of the year.

We have some pretty detailed logic surrounding holiday content–can you explain a specific situation where you picked something and got unexpectedly hit with something tagged as christmas/holiday/etc?

Will roon look at song titles to decide if they are holiday/christmas etc.? There are cases where christmas songs appear on otherwise secular albums. In those cases I do not tag the album globally as christmas/holiday. This is really related to the general problem of not being able to tag genre at a track level. Personally I use radio less and less because of this and other issues so I don’t know if it has been fixed in more recent releases. One example that comes to mind is the Elvis '68 Comeback. This is long forgotten in the albums fame but it was actually a Christmas TV special. As a result there are Christmas songs interspersed on an otherwise secular album.

I think the thread is trying to say that many have the experience that the behind the scenes rule are not working or work incompletely. No doubt raising specific cases will improve that but it is going to be a long road.

Not recently, Brian. I can’t recall what it was but it’s possible it was a track like Fairytale of New York which appears on an official release and various compilations. I’ve also checked my library and I note that I have two Christmas albums that were not tagged as Christmas including A Very Special Christmas so likely not an issue with Roon.

Thank you for addiing support for Radio banning using the ROONRADIOBAN tag. Too bad I can’t edit it from the Roon UI, but at least we have a tag that provides the exact function we need.

I can easily add the tag with the ripping software I use, dBpoweramp, with it set to zero so tracks are not banned by default. I just need to figure out the best software to use on my iMac to edit the tags easily as I find tracks I want to ban from Radio play. I like “kid3” at this point.

Thanks for this information. In my case I have no audiobook with these tags, but with:

flvr = SDAU
ITUNESMEDIATYPE = 2

Maybe they should also be considered. As well the file extension m4b which is used by Audiobook Builder tools. Roon seems to ignore m4b files which are normal m4a files with a different extension.

Btw. Mac users could use the App Metadatics to add custom Tags.

“kid3” is quite good and free!!!

1 Like

I am actually stunned that such a simple request is said to be a too confusing for Roon users @Speed_Racer suggestion for additional click to ban from radio only is totally logical and a basic function.

To say this is too confusing and then add the beautiful eye candy display function where you have to copy and paste a link into a browser and then it’s hit or miss whether it works properly or not is actually astounding.

I mean how on earth is that a user friendly function for a piece of software that is this expensive.

:exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

Apologies for reviving this aged thread if there’s newer discussion or best-practices wisdom on how to handle this sort of thing, but my attempt to search for something related to the use case I have has brought me here.

I was listening to an absolutely compelling rendition of the song “Strange Fruit”, and I was wondering how to both:

• mark the track as excellent and compelling and a favorite as a work of art,

but also

• mark the track as one I absolutely never want to have appear without warning in random play, because, you know, you just don’t want the song about lynchings which arrives wrapped in its miasma of horror to pop cheerfully up and ambush everyone during a party, or while you’re running around the house with the vacuum cleaner. It’s the sort of song I want to give the respect of listening to with intention at the right times, and also just don’t want to have sneak up on me.

Is there any best practice for this case I’ve missed seeing?

My current approach is to apply a tag indicating its excellence, to help me find it later, but click the like-heart into the don’t play state.

@Jeffrey_Moore

In Roon 1.5 (Build 354), Roon added:

So, just add the tag “ROONRADIOBAN” with a value of “1” to any track you don’t want the radio to play.

2 Likes

at risk of sounding stupid, how do you set the ROONRADIOBAN tag?

With a tag editor…something like “kid3” or “MusicBrainz Picard”.

1 Like

Thanks, that helps.
You would imagine that a software as Roon would give you the option to select this in the “edit track” settings… Otherwise how you can set the ROONRADIOBAN if you don’t want to a TIDAL song that is in your library to be played?

Look at the comments made by person that started this thread. They agree with you…

1 Like

I think it would be a useful feature to ban streamed content from a radio stream. I just don’t know how in practical terms that could be done. I assume that you would have to add the music you don’t want to hear to your library so that you could ban it?

I also think it was a shame that the functionality of ROONRADIOBAN was never extended to make it more context aware. For example, if my seed has a chamber music genre tag then I generally don’t want to hear music with a symphony genre tag that also has a ROONRADIOBAN tag set. On the other hand I am ok, for example, mixing up quieter symphony adagios without the ROONRADIOBAN tag set with a chamber music radio stream. Similarly with pop music if my seed has an “80’s” tag set then I don’t want to listen to 2020’s IDM with a ROONRADIOBAN tag set unless it also has a “Cool Wave” genre tag set.

There may be a lot of scope for a relatively simple user customization of radio streams that is not necessarily ever going to succeed with a more global machine learning approach.