Radio paradise issues - read this first

I traced it do a strange behavior in my network. The Raspberry Pi 4 that I use for one of my Roon endpoints had its Ethernet cable plugged into a PoE-enabled port on the switch, which somehow made it flake out (it was dropping pings like half the time). I plugged it into a different port and the dropouts stopped. What made it hard to figure out was that if I played RP from the HiFiBerry interface directly, it never dropped out so I just assumed the box had fine network connections. Sigh. :slight_smile:

Well diagnosed! Pleased you sorted it out and sorry you were left alone.

Just had a dropout on Radio Paradise Mellow Mix 8022 FLAC URL - stopped playing “unable to play this station”. Started again and seems to be OK.

Ok, thanks for info. It’s been better recently, I hope it’s just a one-off

Playing main mix today not used RP for a while due to all the issues. Flacm no metadata but is playing, one with 8022 port no play dice at all.

Unfortunately it seems RP metadata is just not reliable at the moment. Tried VLC and got similar dropouts.

To be honest, I think we should put RP metadata streams to one side for a while until they stop being “experimental”.

1 Like

Was playing fine here yesterday without metadata but today just goes “this is the radio paradise mellow mix, thanks for tuning in” and keeps looping on that until it just drops off.
Works fine in Chrome on the browser though even on FLAC, mellow mix FLAC coming through fine at https://radioparadise.com/player/info/35104/Stephanie_Dosen-Brave

I agree. I cannot get any streams to play OK in Roon, browser or VLC. Their web player is still OK.

There is a problem with RP and comments to that effect are appearing in their forum.

1 Like

Seems ok now?

Playing here also…guess we are at the mercy of RP for now but at least I know where to look on their forum the next time i run into issues. Thanks for the prompt response and the help :+1:

1 Like

Fired up the http://stream.radioparadise.com:8022/s/flacm about 10am Mountain Time. Initially it sounded as if two songs where streaming simultaneously. She ran fine for 3.5 hours before going to chop and then stopped. Pushed the start arrow and it played a couple songs , went choppy and then died again. Gonna bounce the core and see if she will clean and run for a longer.

Now all Rooms flac streams for main mix have no metadata, have they turned it all off, not that it worked anyway?

I just cleared the Roon Cache and am back up and running.

@CrystalGipsy I get meta data on the …8022/s/flacm url

Hmm it all plays the same stream for me. Very odd.

The main metadata links are not working
Failed to connect to stream.radioparadise.com port 8022: Connection refused

The RP forum is also raising the issue.

The underlying re-directed links (the ones with 8022 in tbe stream) should be OK.

EDIT I was sure they were - they’re not now.

Perhaps time to remember - these streams are experimental.

EDIT2. The UK streams are down, but not the US

@CrystalGipsy if Roon can’t get one stream it tries another. It’s impossible difficult to tell from the Roon app which one it actually ends up with.

That’s a bit pants really.

After clearing the cache on the roon core I fired up RP with 2 end points (Bryston Pi & Sonos ZP90) Ran for about an hour then I left the house for about 2.5 hours. Came back and the Sonos was still playing but the Bryston was not. :frowning:

Tried all the RP streams they all play the same stream with no metadata. Oh dear what is going on?

The UK metadata streams are still down, Roon reverting to a working stream - which will be the non-metadata ones.
US streams ok.

No response from RP on their forum yet to people who have raised the issue there.