Raspberry Pi 4 to Mac, cable how?

Very strange and it’s showing two different MAC addresses in the Synology DHCP server?

Also a possibility is that one of the services is turned on requires WiFi access ike Airplay so may have turned it on) but this is pure conjecture from my side as I have not used Ropieee in some time.

1 Like

Thanks again, Michael.

It’s a RT6600ax.

Maybe I should consider giving it a status address?

Mark, if it has 2 different MAC addresses it is most likely using Ethernet and WiFi, even if you have not set this up. If not 2 MAC addresses (which I doubt) the maybe 1 will disappear in time.

A DHCP static address will only impact one of those and the other one will continue to get a dynamic DHCP address.
Personally I tend to give all my streamers static DHCP addresses so I can easily find them if I need to login etc

Thanks, Michael. I’ll continue to experiment :slight_smile:

Good luck and let’s hope somebody else chimes in with a brilliant idea that helps fix this one

1 Like

Appreciated, Michael!

When I first got my Nucleus, it too showed up twice in the Finder.

Until the experts came to my rescue by recommending Static DHCP Reservation.

Everything seems to be working brilliantly. So pleased I added this endpoint. Just want to be sure I’m making the most of the way it’s supposed to work.

1 Like

Just a thought, are both ip addresses active? DHCP, on some routers, will display previously used ip addresses as being assigned to a device until it gets reused.
I’m not sure if DHCP on the Synology operates the same way but it’s worth checking and avoiding a “goose chase.”

1 Like

Appreciated, @PixelPopper… that may be what happened.

I deleted one IP address in the DHCP tab of the router - and both disappeared. I wonder what that may imply?

Now only one actual instance (of RoPiee) appears both in other Synology tables and the RoPie web interface itself.

That sounds like the case i described, you probably deleted the inactive address. Just make the current address static and “job done.” :crossed_fingers:

In Synology’s Network Center > Local Network > DHCP Reservation, as i did here with my Nucleus:

?

If it was my system, I would perform all ip address allocation from my Router’s DHCP as it is the “hub” of my home network. The network would normally have one DHCP active, that of the router, to avoid misallocation and ip allocation clashes.

I second this.

I use DHCP address reservations to ensure server ip addresses do not change - not a static ip address but it achieves the same goal.

It can make changing routers in the future a lot easier if the new router does not use the same subnet.

2 Likes

I second this, using IP reservations and not setting static IP on the devices. I have seen a few people have to go through the headache of trying to reset the network settings on all their devices when switching to a new router.

Thanks very much, @PixelPopper, @Wade_Oram, @bearFNF; extremely helpful!

So - if I may confirm (not a network expert in the least):

In Synology’s

Network Center > Local Network > DHCP Reservation

I set a DHCP Reservation for:

• Canon printer
  • Nucleus
  • WiiM Pro 2
  • Raspberry Pi
  • Behringer DAC
  • and even my iMac Pro

as in the diagram below?

Yes?

Is there any downside?

The ethernet network connections look fine, without checking the individual items I can’t make an educated comment however, it looks like in should work.

If you experience any problems post the details here for further suggestions.

:pray:

1 Like

I don’t see any down side of using DHCP reservations.

Personally, I probably wouldn’t bother with a reservation for the iMac but if you do it won’t cause any problems.

1 Like

Many thanks, @PixelPopper and @Wade_Oram!

I know just what to do now :slight_smile:

1 Like

I see no downsides of the set-up and second @PixelPopper 's suggestion if you experience any anomalies or issues to come back and post them. I would not expect any issues, though.

1 Like

Terrific. Thanks!

None whatsoever. Every single permanent device in my house has a DHCP reservation. I often set one up before turning a product on, if the MAC address is printed on the outside of the product somewhere.

1 Like