Raspberry Pi 4 to Mac, cable how?

I’m new to Raspberry Pi and want to experiment using it as a streamer for Roon.

I have the Raspberry Pi OS on a Micro SD and requisite USB and Ethernet cables etc.

But, keeping it as simple as possible, I’d like to configure the Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB) using:

1. ideally my 2018 MacBook Pro (15-inch) running macOS 14.4.1, or
  2. failing that 'Late 2017’ iMac Pro running 13.6.6.

Because each desktop machine has Thunderbolt 3, is it simply a case of buying a micro HDMI - to (USB-C) cable?

If so, any recommendations of exactly the one to get, please?

Adapter? Anything else?

When I’ve done that, do I leave the SD card attached to the Raspberry Pi… I really am new to this :slight_smile: .

TIA!

Mark,

Have you thought about:

You can easily create an installer for from your Mac using:

I did this and love it:

2 Likes

Hi, @DDPS; how are you?

Thanks very much for that!

In fact I already have the Raspberry Pi OS on an SD; so I’ve concluded that I’ve got everything covered except being able to see either the Raspberry Pi 4 desktop or its CLI on my Mac desktop/portables.

I’d rather do that (connect to a Mac) - in the interests of keeping it simple. Raspberry Pi 4 is to be a second/subsidiary endpoint because my WiiM Pro works so well, and is my default.

However - many thanks for the link to RoPieee. I note it says that I can simply (‘without any intervention’) ‘enable[ a] USB port for playing audio over an USB DAC’.

I have been planning to output from the Raspberry Pi 4 to the USB digital inout of my ParaSound Halo P6.

Would RoPieee be a simpler way to achieve this?

This page suggests it would because my Raspberry Pi 4 would be headless and configurable from within Roon.

What I don’t want to do is add complications to Roon and compromise its stability and/or integrity by adding an extra layer just for the sake of experimenting.

Have you used RoPieee (this way), @DDPS?

@Mark_Sealey I’ve been busy…but great! Thank you - hope the same for you.

I think it would. RoPieee is delightful and easy, and @spockfish is great at supporting it.

2 Likes

Dear Mark_Sealey:

Here is a link to the RoPieee Installation Guide by Nathan_Wilkes that may be useful to you.

Also, please be aware that you will need a MicroSD card with at least 8 GB of storage for the RoPieee software. Finally, there is an active group of RoPieee users in the Roon Labs Community. Look for the RoPieee group in the Audio Gear Talk category.

Best regards,

RU

2 Likes

Thanks so much, @DDPS!

Then I’m altering course. Shall go that way :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hello, @RoonUser657932327 and many thanks!

I see. Again, much appreciated.

Definitely the way to do this!

OK. Noted. Do you, by any chance, have a recommended brand of MicroSD card, please? I’d rather pay a little extra to get something reliable :slight_smile:

Yes, I’ve often seen that without paying attention.

Now I shall!

And to you and @DDPS.

1 Like

Dear @Mark_Sealey:

I have been using a 64 GB SanDisk Extreme microSDXC (model SDSQXA2-064G-GN6MA, https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FCMBLV6/) without any problems in a Raspberry Pi 2 W. Mine came with an adapter that allows one use the MicroSD card in a SDXC card slot. (I do not believe that the 2018 MacBook Pro has a SDXC card slot, but the 2017 iMac Pro should have a card slot on the back.)

Best regards,

RU

1 Like

Download RoPieee to a computer. Use Etcher to burn RoPieee onto micro SD card. Insert micro SD card into the RPi.

Connect the RPi to your router or switch with ethernet cable. Plug RPi into power. On a computer, use the browser to connect to the RoPieee home page or whatever it’s called. Configure RoPieee. Enable WIFI on RoPieee if you want to use it wirelessly.

Connect your DAC to the RPi using a USB cable. With RPi and DAC powered up, find in Roon audio and configure the end-point. Done.

3 Likes

Thanks very much, @Jim_F and @RoonUser657932327!

I can see exactly what to get and how to use it.

Will do. Appreciated :blush:

1 Like

Jim,

I now have all the ‘parts’ I need; am about to begin:

Which format, please: the SD cards come with FAT. Will the Raspberry Pi read that?

Secondly, I do prepare to leave the (micro) SD card inserted in the slot in the Raspberry Pi 4, don’t I?

Etcher will write a format. No need to worry about how it’s formatted. Also, yes, you will leave it in. Note that it will go in looking more or less “upside down.”

1 Like

Thanks, @DDPS!

I ask because when I inserted a test Micro SD card into an OWC drive which happens to have such a slot, Etcher didn’t present me with a name which corresponded to the one I’d given to the card in the Finder to replace ‘NONAME’; I didn’t proceed but would only have had the size (16GB) to go on.

So I should just leave the card in the format it comes with from Amazon?

I’m almost there.

Yes that should be fine.

1 Like

Great. Thanks again, @DDPS!

I’ve had great luck with this inexpensive video capture card:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0C1ZNQTTN?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Combined with this inexpensive wireless keyboard+mouse and the free OBS software, I can use my laptop as a display rather than dragging out a separate HDMI monitor.

Logitech Wireless Touch Keyboard… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005DKZTMG?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This combo is handy for troubleshooting any headless server that has an HDMI display connection and USB port for keyboard and mouse, including ROCK builds and Nucleus.

Thanks very much, David!

Will investigate those two products soonest :slightly_smiling_face:.

I particularly like the look of the Logitech kbd… I have a MX Master 3S mouse of theirs.

Today is setup day for the RoPieee (all being well); it’s proof of concept (that I can still experiment) as much as anything. But to have those recommendations is much appreciated!

1 Like

All set up and working - just as you, @DDPS, @RoonUser657932327, @Jim_F and @David_Snyder said it could be done.

The only slight anomaly is that in my Synology router’s DHCP tab (as directed on page 30 of the Installation Guide) I see two IP addresses for the Raspberry Pi device.

Expected? Normal?

TIA…

Mark have you connected it over WiFi and Ethernet?
If so I would expect two ip addresses

2 Likes

Thanks, Michael: I wondered about that. No. New installation - have never touched Wi-Fi.

The RoPieee web interface only shows the one.

Perhaps it’s because of some anomaly in my Router’s DHCP table. I deleted the one there which doesn’t work and both RoPieee entries in the DHCP tab disappeared. Still working.

(Just want to ensure I’ve got the most stable set up I can.)

1 Like