RAVENNA The new benchmark in consumer digital audio systems

I would be interested in a box that was Ethernet in, HDMI l2s out, DSD 512 capable and which ran DietPi or some other software that could support an HQP NAA. So far as I can tell this is not that box. Claims of “endgame” seem exaggerated until USB resolutions can be at least matched.

I’ve explained in several posts why it was a design decision to max out at 256. A simple firmware update could up the resolution to DSD 2048 if they wanted. But they aren’t cavemen. Real engineers build this stuff.

Ravenna is a pro audio interface based on the AES67 protocol and is to expensive for consumer audio. The SoC on the Zman board costs 57 euro. Calculating design costs and software development, I think this board will be bloody expensive ( 500 euro???).

This board is an OEM solution. And it’s a premium solution. Not intended for the lower end of the market. There’s plenty of other options for lower end solutions. What really matters is the cost/performance of an entire system that utilizes the Zman in the chain. It’s in active speaker applications where this board is going to be a real game changer. The market for stand alone DAC’s is going to slowly start diminishing. There’s really no need for multiple boxes and cables with today’s technology. It made sense back in the industrial age, but not in the information age.

oh, pheew! glad to know the Zman is not for me :slight_smile:
… unless someone comes out with active speakers driven by SETs :stuck_out_tongue:

Now you have no excuse Paolo:

Slap a Zman on the back and you’ll be cooking with gas.

3 Likes

You are going to wait a very long time for your prophesy being fulfilled.

So high end is only when you use active speakers and listen to multi channel?

I bet the Musica Pristina guys could open up their OS for you… it has an HDMI i2s output.

1 Like

Don’t get me wrong and no offense but @MiveraAudio,

I would normally read this press release and maybe find it interesting as a new product.

However the way you present it, talk about it and forgive me for saying but exaggerate it made me feel disinclined about it.

So many new products are released all the time , but believing that one will be the solution to all the problems
(which only snake oil can solve… subjectively speaking) is not down-to-earth…

I think the title is very constrained and subjective.

I am sure it is a great product but “benchmark” ??

5 Likes

You always have the option to stick with USB. Nobody’s ever going to force you to move with the times.

Tubes are great for nostalgia purposes. I like to collect vintage cars as well. I don’t do it for the performance, I do it for the nostalgia. Great thing about modern DSP is the distortions of technology from the past can be emulated at a click of a button when we want the nostalgia, and disabled when we want performance. The new Weiss network player even has a vinyl emulation feature.

Active speakers are the future. Multichannel is just an option. There’s no need for more boxes in your listening room than speaker boxes with today’s technology. Unless it’s for nostalgia purposes.

And it will be great when the these systems are affordable by the mass market, until then I’ll wait and listen using my existing tech. I’ll also be looking for independent listening tests of production systems. Until theh there is no way this system can be claimed to be a benchmark.

If the Zman can allow manufacturers to make $10000 active speakers that put $30000-$40000 old fashioned box and cable systems to shame, it will be a revolution in price/performance.

Anyone going to Munich will need to check out the Weiss room as well. They are going to be demonstrating something very cool.

A lesson in the hifi hobby is to concentrate on the products. :wink: There are solutions in the pipeline and Munich High End is imminent. The landscape will be different afterwards.

Yeah I think this years Munich will be the year everyone realizes it’s not 1953 anymore and time to embrace technology. You can only fight against technology for so long.

I don’t think everyone’s fighting against technology.

I think a lot of people are embracing new technology, while others stick to what they know or believe to be better. On the other hand a lot of people probably just keep what they’ve got, not least since adopting new technology often means incompatibilities, bugs, short product life, zero resale value, zero repairability outside warranty etc etc.

In any walk of life - audio or otherwise - a single exhibition is highly unlikely to cause a revolution regardless of the new products/technologies on offer. Things take time to change, and will most likely rely on a new generation of audio consumers.

I agree completely, in the context of audio and this thread, but revolutions do happen. There’s this. And this.

I’m not telling anybody to do anything. I’m just saying there’s going to be some eye opening technology at Munich that might take the focus off the vinyl and tube nostalgiaware being heavily pushed at the sound shows over the last couple years.