Really!? Must Be A Joke [Best Digital Interconnects $1,000 and Above]

Pseudoscience by way of flawed experimental procedure.

AJ

1 Like

This is the main reason I avoid mainstream social media. When someone starts to argue that science doesnā€™t apply in their reality, I walk away. I used to lose my sh!t over it, but now I go off and listen to music or go out to my workshop and make something.

Fortunately, the stupid arenā€™t responsible for designing anything thatā€™s critical to human life. That stuff and the applicable standards lie firmly in the hands of scientists and engineers.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a political satire, but I think it has wider connotations.

1 Like

I am afraid youā€™d be surprisedā€¦

Their politics are way off :laughing: and their music sucks but it actually is surprisingly accurate regarding our audiophile friendsā€¦

Do tellā€¦

Theyā€™re my favorite dance band but Iā€™ll give you a pass this time.

1 Like

Do you see what kids are learning in college today? I doubt it is significantly different for real engineering vs. software engineering, but I definitely would NOT trust any FAANG engineer with designing anything vital.

And government bureaucracy thatā€™s supposed to regulate itā€¦ they have different priorities, too. Didnā€™t we have someone whose only qualification was being pretty good at stealing luggage in airports be the heads of nuclear waste disposal?

De gustibus non est disputandum :rofl:

To be fair, I worked with a couple of graduate mechanical engineers who couldnā€™t tell a bolt from a set screw. Why would I let them be involved in designing anything that was critical?

Despite various government interventions, social media platforms have proved themselves time and again incapable of protecting children. I take your point.

The problem with the likes of Facebook/Meta is itā€™s so huge and makes so much money, that any kind of punitive financial judgement by a court would easily be covered by the contents of Zuckerbergā€™s wallet.

Of course, the anti-intellectuals think social media is a great way of hanging out with ā€œfriendsā€ and the like-minded, yet seem to have no idea of the level of manipulation involved and how itā€™s really all about nothing other than money.

1 Like

I was going to say ā€œhey letā€™s keep things on topic!ā€ but then I read the last line and realized that it is completely on topic!

3 Likes

Social media is an amplifier, for sure, but the problem IMO is much deeper (and completely off-topic).

On-topic, it is all about the money for the manufacturers, of course, but the gullible must be getting at least some psychological satisfaction out of it, too.