Reasons for (ways to prevent) motherboard failure for Nucleus

I have a NucleusPlus Rev B that had performed well up until a recent update after which the unit did not boot up, no HDMI output etc. Thankfully unit was within (2-year) warranty period, RMA process very straightforward and i noticed in the correspondence, that their action was “motherboard would not POST, replaced”

From what i’ve read on the forum, it sounds like the view is that an update would not cause a motherboard to brick and that any association is just unfortunate timing and despite the number of posts complaining about issues around an update, these are a small % of units in the field and thus should be viewed as isolated one-offs.

Given that this is the first issue i’ve had with the Nucleus (or really any piece of computer equipment within say a 4 year timeframe) and my hope that there won’t be any issues post-warranty, I was wondering if i was missing any best practices to prevent issues like this, or is it really just a case of bad unit/bad luck. My use environment is pretty basic. nucleus on a shelf in an air conditioned room. Runs 24/7, but typically only 1 endpoint active at any given moment a few hours a day. No DSP.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

There can always be bad luck but it seems to me, based on forum posts, that power outages are the most frequent killer

I added a stick on heat sink to my replacement. Not sure if that will helps or not

Non-sacrificial surge supressor?

Best practice for any server (and especially for one running a database) is to power it via a UPS. Provided it has sufficient capacity to bridge any power outages it will prevent both potential damage to the database from a sudden power removal and against potential mains bourne spikes from the mains power coming back on. A UPS will usually have inbuilt mains filtering and surge suppression too, but these can be added with an external unit.

Are you saying your device runs hot?

It failed and an IT guy suggested it may help